needs must when the disabled ( don't ) drive

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

needs must when the disabled ( don't ) drive

i mentioned trailers for my scooter - well here's the latest - the "scoot boot " ( ere that's patent pending you know :grommit: ) - made from odds and sods i had in my " that may come in useful room " - + a new 110 Lt plastics box and some old tumble dryer ducting ( the mud guards ) cut in half + the requisite bit of meccano ( essential in each project ) - it should be ideal for those days when the shopping will get wet - or i have to buy :cat: litter

i know it tows well as i used the base to bring back some bag sand before - and may give you some ideas if you need a trailer for a push bike say ?? - sadly my days of riding them are now over - as my arthritic hips and knees would never stand it :angryfire: - but as they say second class riding is better than first class walking :wink:

i was aided and abetted by my cat "muffie " who thought the box was a jolly good place to curl up and go to sleep - little does she know that on Tuesday she is off to the vets to be fixed :cat: :confused2: ( she hates vets and taxis ) - so i am in for a fun day with her

any ways - may be of interest :dontknow:
the validity of ones ideas are best measured by the resistance they attract

and if enough people tell you are WRONG - do it ANYWAY !!

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: needs must when the disabled ( don't ) drive

:cheers: Brilliant :thumbright: - un'pend' that patent :wink:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Millymollymandy

I love it too, well done Brett! :cheers: But does it have lights on the back? :shock: - the things sticking out under the stick on hands (and what's it say on the writing on the tape underneath the hands? :iconbiggrin: )
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

well done mate fantastic :cheers:
:flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Brett53,

Lovely trailer! How, and where, does it attatch to the bike? Is it possible to show a picture of the mechanism at point of contact?

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

crowsashes

thats cool, i wonder if it would be possible to knock one up, 4 wheels and a handle for me to pull and be strong enough to stick little one in when he gets tired :scratch: would make those compost/foraging runs easier!

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Millymollymandy wrote:I love it too, well done Brett! :cheers: But does it have lights on the back? :shock: - the things sticking out under the stick on hands (and what's it say on the writing on the tape underneath the hands? :iconbiggrin: )
no lights - well not yet - but then i don't go out on my scooter much when its dark

and the writing ?? it says " yea i know its a good idea - that's why i built it ! " - it stops people annoying me saying "ohh that's a good idea - you ought to make those blah blah blah "

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

jim wrote:Dear Brett53,

Lovely trailer! How, and where, does it attatch to the bike? Is it possible to show a picture of the mechanism at point of contact?

Love and Peace
Jim
mobility scooter Jim - and its just a pin hitch with a safety washer and clip - nothing fancy - i will post some pics of it with the scoot next time i go out - if i remember :scratch:

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

crowsashes wrote:thats cool, i wonder if it would be possible to knock one up, 4 wheels and a handle for me to pull and be strong enough to stick little one in when he gets tired :scratch: would make those compost/foraging runs easier!
yep quite possible - just needs a bit of thought - or you can be naughty and buy one - i have one LIKE this with an adapted tow bar as my "other " trolly - they will take some abuse too :thumbright: - got mine at B&Q but they don't seem to do em any more - best investment i ever made :thumbright: :thumbright:

any ways this may give you some ideas :

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Pro ... art-GB.asp

but lets be fair if you have some suitable wheels - it could be made of wood like the old soap box carts of my youth - ah now that takes me back , scrounging old pram wheels from the tip - and getting a clip round the ear from the local copper for racing them down our THEN very quiet road - some nosy neighbor did not like us kids playing and called the old bill - think there where only about two or 3 people that had cars in our road then - mind that was back in the sixties - ( nineteen sixties mind you ) happy days :lol:

if there was a demand i suppose i could make a few bob making carts - but the problem is health and stupidity laws - type approval and all the other aggravations of running a small concern - some idiot only has to hurt themselves with something you made and - bingo law suit :roll: :roll:

any ways good luck with finding something suitable :thumbright:

Millymollymandy

brett53 wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:I love it too, well done Brett! :cheers: But does it have lights on the back? :shock: - the things sticking out under the stick on hands (and what's it say on the writing on the tape underneath the hands? :iconbiggrin: )
no lights - well not yet - but then i don't go out on my scooter much when its dark

and the writing ?? it says " yea i know its a good idea - that's why i built it ! " - it stops people annoying me saying "ohh that's a good idea - you ought to make those blah blah blah "
So what then are the red thing in the middle and the two yellow things sticking our on either side underneath the hand thingies? Reflector whatsits?

(I wasn't suggesting you should have lights, just surprised cos I thought you'd got them fitted and I thought that was clever!).
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

crowsashes

brett53 wrote:
crowsashes wrote:thats cool, i wonder if it would be possible to knock one up, 4 wheels and a handle for me to pull and be strong enough to stick little one in when he gets tired :scratch: would make those compost/foraging runs easier!
yep quite possible - just needs a bit of thought - or you can be naughty and buy one - i have one LIKE this with an adapted tow bar as my "other " trolly - they will take some abuse too :thumbright: - got mine at B&Q but they don't seem to do em any more - best investment i ever made :thumbright: :thumbright:

thats exactly what im after! :lol: just not at that price :shock: although i know it will be an investment, think ill have to have a look around or maybe get the tool kit out, although i used all my last scraps of wood etc building the little on a toy box he now uses as a ladder :scratch: ( hes 2 and figured he can move it about his room to switch the light on and get in to his toy cupboard :shock: ) maybe i should have fitted the panels closer together? but then i wouldnt have such a big toy box!

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Millymollymandy wrote:
brett53 wrote:

So what then are the red thing in the middle and the two yellow things sticking our on either side underneath the hand thingies? Reflector whatsits?

(I wasn't suggesting you should have lights, just surprised cos I thought you'd got them fitted and I thought that was clever!).
yep reflector wotsits - never have enough refectors - and the other is a red one - from our local discount tool place - only 1 pound - think there where about 20 assorted ones in the packet - supposedly for kids bikes - but hey ho - handy for mad trailer builders too :iconbiggrin:

as to lights - well i was thinking of a small battery and some LED ones for this - as you can get 1/2 inch LEDS in red and yellow - but may be later for that - or some of those cheap battery bike lights ( thinks .......... )

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

crowsashes wrote:
brett53 wrote:

thats exactly what im after! :lol: just not at that price :shock: although i know it will be an investment, think ill have to have a look around or maybe get the tool kit out, although i used all my last scraps of wood etc building the little on a toy box he now uses as a ladder :scratch: ( hes 2 and figured he can move it about his room to switch the light on and get in to his toy cupboard :shock: ) maybe i should have fitted the panels closer together? but then i wouldnt have such a big toy box!

have a word with the manager at your local diy outlet - they often have some good bits of wood from pallets and frames they deliver 8x4 sheets of whatever on - most of them have a skip somewhere and are happy if you will take stuff away - they sometimes have damaged stuff in there too - that they cant sell - worth a punt anyways - but make sure you speak to the manager - not one of the staff as they wont /cant make a decision

other than that - um Plymouth argyle car boot sale on a Sunday morning can prove productive - i have had loads of useful stuff from there - even found a complete working stair lift there when we needed one for my late misses - she thought i was taking the rise when i phoned her to tell her - as i had jokingly said that if i found a stair lift i would bring it back - talk about coincidence :shock: - any ways it was a good un and did sterling service until 2 days after she passed away - when it stopped and never went again - removed now - but still got most of the bits - well they may come in useful sometime :wink:

something always seems to turn up when you need it :thumbright:

floydster
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

brett53 wrote:i mentioned trailers for my scooter - well here's the latest
Superb. It would cost a fortune to buy something like that.

Keep up the excellent work and more pictures of it in action please?

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

red

:cheers:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog