selfsufficientish has a new home.

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
AXJ
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: selfsufficientish has a new home.

my dear friend, that was not flippant it was honest and well researched. Please remember I am just another user of this forum, nothing more.

Stonehead

I don't drop by much any more (partly less computer time due to electricity price rises, partly Ish feeling less friendly and rather more arrogant as this thread shows), but popping in today I found the site almost unuseable. I mentioned this a few weeks back when the new look was briefly rolled out in part, but it's even worse now.

Screen shots:

Safari 3.0.4, on a Mac G4 with OS 10.4.11, 15in monitor, 1024x768 resolution (highest I can take it)

Firefox 2.0.0.14, on the same Mac.

It's even worse on an iMac.

And no, not operator error or failure to clear the cache. And yes, the BBC websites look fine.

Oh, and when I saw the new logo my immediate thought was Dr Seuss—"green eggs and ham"!

AXJ

Hi thats very interesting, I can see what's happening there, nothing to do with me obviously, I am just a user the same as you are. For your screen shots to be of use to the people developing the site (of which I AM NOT ONE)... it would be helpfull I am sure, if you would be so kind as to also post your broswer, OS and screen resolution which you have.

I have not seen that problem, but I have not gone below 1024 width screen res (which is the most popular these days)

here is a composit of screen shots I took a couple of minutes ago, just to check out type sizes, a blog, BBCand ISH, they look the same to me

I might add that if you are using a small screen the browser OPERA is the best browser for adpting not just this website but also all the others on the internet for small monitors, it is used on the Nintendo DS for example.

AXJ

I'll step out of this now.. clearly I am not helping. Good luck Ish and all who sail in her.

One question, your Firefox is out of date, you also have the history tab pinned on the left, but not in the other browsers, which of course squeezes the space.

I can't replicate your problem on a PC no matter how hard I try.

I can tell you that I have owned over ten Apple Macs since 1999, I have three in my house right now. I love mac, but Safari sucks old socks. What Firefox has to say is interesting, but from what I can see you have not compared like with like.

I am sure that John Headstrong will resolve your issues when he gets back from his weekend.

I am curious why you think that this thread illustrates arogance, I don't see anyone who is asscoiated with this site or forum being arrogant. Personally, if I hear someone say "if you don't fix this for me I am not coming back" I do have a tendancy to address that, quite politely I thought.

I REPEAT I HAVE NOTHING WHAT SO EVER TO DO WITH THE DESIGN UPDATE OR MAINTENCE OF THIS SITE

so if you want to get pissed off because of anything I have said, get pissed off with me, not with ISH.

:study:

Stonehead

Sigh. I also happen to have Opera and there's little difference apart from positioning of some elements. I also happen to have been using Macs for years (1984 as it happens) and have six in the house at the moment (only two in use though). Like wow! :roll: I've also used PCs with umpteen OSes, designed, developed and edited websites since the year dot, etc etc etc. Now that we've established our respective Uber Nerd status and flashed our Boy Scouts badges, the problem remains the same—the new look doesn't work for some people on some computers and some OS/browser combinations.

AXJ

Stonehead wrote:Sigh. I also happen to have Opera and there's little difference apart from positioning of some elements. I also happen to have been using Macs for years (1984 as it happens) and have six in the house at the moment (only two in use though). Like wow! :roll: I've also used PCs with umpteen OSes, designed, developed and edited websites since the year dot, etc etc etc. Now that we've established our respective Uber Nerd status and flashed our Boy Scouts badges, the problem remains the same—the new look doesn't work for some people on some computers and some OS/browser combinations.
Frankly I no longer care, it works fine for me. I see it degrades for people who ae using small screens. What the ISH team want to do about it is not my problem. I look foward to seing others such as yourself present solutions. I have spent enough time in this. :banghead:

For what it is worth, this is what it looks like on a PC at 1024 width
Exploer 7
Firefox 3
Opera 9.2.7

For people who don't wnat to use the full width of the screen, the elements do move it is true, currently that is considered to be correct, although I don't like liquid design myself.

The solution would be to redesign it for 800px width degradation, to expand to 1024.

Peace out

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, one thing at a time. Will lock this post for the time being whilst we discuss any issues that need to be ironed out.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging