BBC How to Live a Simple Life.

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
theabsinthefairy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: BBC How to Live a Simple Life.

Big Al wrote: I think that people will barter goods and services but in the background there will always be a system where people value things in a monetary sense........
I think you are quite right, we are so accustomed to seeing the cost of something as opposed to its value, that it gets harder and harder to see their real worth.

So it set me to thinking whether we are getting a 'fair' exchange on some of our barters and I came to the following conclusion using a recent example,

my OH fixed a car for a neighbour recently, it took him most of the day, in return he received 5 sterre of wood.

but... if you look at it from a monetary point of view

a day's labour in a garage = at least 200 euros
5 sterre of wood = usual cost 40euros per sterre = 200 euros

a truly fair exchange on a monetary basis you would think

but ...... (bear with me - I am going somewhere with this!)

OH = 1 day labour, no parts used, just taking something apart, cleaning it, then putting it back together,
Neighbour = part thereof of day cutting wood down, cutting it to size and then stacking it - probably a day in terms of hours spent building a stack of wood sized at 5 sterre.

Therefore - a perfectly equitable barter.

Which means that both sides of the exchange had the same value in monetary / time terms.

It would be easy to leave yourself open to feelings of resentment and of being used if both sides have disproportionate ideas of value though - and I think here you can see the value of money - with its agree values known by both sides.

My problem seems to be that whilst I agree with the face value of the money in my hand I don't agree with the price demanded by the vendors usually. :angryfire:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

southeast-isher

very interesting points absinthefairy!

episode 2 in post tomorrow if needed...

theabsinthefairy

yes please, and thank you!
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

bonniethomas06

The problem I had with this programme was that while this vicar is making a success of it for a year -it wouldn't work en-masse. He relies heavily on the locals to hand him freebies/barter/accommodate him. But if everyone in the village did it, it wouldn't work - the shopkeeper couldn't pay her suppliers in walnuts and the pub would be repossessed if all of its customers paid in labour instead of money.

So it is not a realistic proposition that everyone should do it. Perhaps that is not the intention, and it is really a study of this curiosity designed to stimulate thought - which is great. However, a more realistic approach for everyone else, would be to produce as much of their own produce as they can, and find a way to produce money (by part time working or selling produce) in order to buy the things the can't produce, and to contribute to a society which relies upon money.

My 2pence worth. Or should that be 2 walnuts worth.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Big Al

bonniethomas06 wrote:The problem I had with this programme was that while this vicar is making a success of it for a year -it wouldn't work en-masse. He relies heavily on the locals to hand him freebies/barter/accommodate him. But if everyone in the village did it, it wouldn't work - the shopkeeper couldn't pay her suppliers in walnuts and the pub would be repossessed if all of its customers paid in labour instead of money.

So it is not a realistic proposition that everyone should do it. Perhaps that is not the intention, and it is really a study of this curiosity designed to stimulate thought - which is great. However, a more realistic approach for everyone else, would be to produce as much of their own produce as they can, and find a way to produce money (by part time working or selling produce) in order to buy the things the can't produce, and to contribute to a society which relies upon money.

My 2pence worth. Or should that be 2 walnuts worth.
..... depends on if they were shelled or whole........ :mrgreen:

It's like the idea of being self sufficient. On a singular scale it is impossible to be self sufficient because you would have to make your own house, grow and raise your own food, treat all your own ills and even argue with yourself..... I'd be good on the last part but then the other voice would probably say I wasn't self suff at arguing.......
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Quite interesting, beats rubbishy talent shows and celebrities patting each other on the back en masse any day.
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

flowertotmum
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

cocobelle wrote:Quite interesting, beats rubbishy talent shows and celebrities patting each other on the back en masse any day.
AGREED...would love to be able to do that..must be refreshing..to have the freedom of no bills :roll: ..but like everyone has said he got his wallet and cards back..so its not really real...wouldnt they be in trouble if he starved or froze to death...
By the way i really hate x-factor,BGT, and those bloody dancing ones...give me a gardening prog anyday...