mutton

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Jack wrote:Gidday

Well mate, I live on mutton, well almost. As far as I am concerned it is the best meat you can get.

Of course, that is as long as the animal is in reasonable condition. Ask why she is being culled, in case it has some nasty disease but other than that you are on a win.
she failed to get into lamb. they think it was because she was hand reared - dunno if there is anything in this... she is healthy, but they cant carry sheep that are not going to produce.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Jack

Gidday

Well it will be beautiful eating then.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

Hawthorn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ok, I'm terrible. I'm sat here reading this thinking poor thing. I want to give her a home. She never had no babies.

*must toughen up, must toughen up* :lol:

possum

If she is only two years old, then she shouldn't be too tough. The only sheep not worth having is one that is horrendously overweight, we had one and it was a waste of money getting her butchered as it was about 2/3 fat (we had tried to slim her down for a few months to no avail)
Opinionated but harmless

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

possum wrote:If she is only two years old, then she shouldn't be too tough. The only sheep not worth having is one that is horrendously overweight, we had one and it was a waste of money getting her butchered as it was about 2/3 fat (we had tried to slim her down for a few months to no avail)
Render her and make soap!!! :dave: :cheers:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Cheezy

Before the bloody kiwi's ( :wink: ) flooded our shores with their poxy lamb, mutton was the main staple on these fair lands.
I heard a radio 4 food programme on it, and the mutton renaissonce. We even managed to get some from our local farm shop.Very nice made a cracking curry ,and we BBQ some

THe key apparently to making sure it's tender is that the farmers used to bring down the sheep from the pastures a few weeks before slaughter and keep them in local fields with plenty of fresh grass to "finish them off" I'd never heard of this. But it apparently helps the muscles to relax and fatten them up.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Milims

My mouth is watering just reaing about it! It's probably best cooked long and slow - in a slow cooker if you have one. Ooohhh - Lancashire hot pot and Scotch broth! Drool!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

red

i thnk the rayburn and mutton were made for each other..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

ina

red wrote:i thnk the rayburn and mutton were made for each other..
Did anybody ask the sheep's opinion on that?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cheezy wrote:THe key apparently to making sure it's tender is that the farmers used to bring down the sheep from the pastures a few weeks before slaughter and keep them in local fields with plenty of fresh grass to "finish them off" I'd never heard of this. But it apparently helps the muscles to relax and fatten them up.
Maybe their legs get tired and knotty from the trip down. Like venison will be tough if the deer was on the run when it was killed.

Well it might be. No need to look at me like that :oops:

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

I guess the key is time (& or thyme :wink:) ...

Well hung and cooked low and slow ...

Jack

Gidday

Golly gosh. One is notted and another is well hung.

"Shut up Jack"

Anyway, it does make a mutton better eating if they are finnished on good pasture but it does take several weeks and not just one or two.

And Ism1066, you may have been speaking in jest but you are dead right, if an animal is stressed in any way wether from running or just being herded into an abattoir it will not only be tough but also it will not taste as good. That is why home killed meat is far superior as they are in familliar suroundings and no stress.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

red

mutton is back from the slaughterhouse 'minus its personality'

bit fatty but the meat looks good and the chops and joints are nice and big

so far only eaten liver though.. so not truly tried and tested. as she was only 2 I dont think the meat will be tough. Really do hope it works out as I would prefer to keep any lambs we raise a bit longer than the 6 months norm..
but then this will only work out if they are castrated males.. or I end up with more pregnant.. maybe.. anyway.. at the mo we only have one lamb and he is a castrated ram lamb, but we are raising our sheep almost entirely on grass.. so depends how the grass lasts out... vs the freezer space.....
Red

etsy shop

blog

Cheezy

red wrote:mutton is back from the slaughterhouse 'minus its personality'

bit fatty but the meat looks good and the chops and joints are nice and big

so far only eaten liver though.. so not truly tried and tested. as she was only 2 I dont think the meat will be tough. Really do hope it works out as I would prefer to keep any lambs we raise a bit longer than the 6 months norm..
but then this will only work out if they are castrated males.. or I end up with more pregnant.. maybe.. anyway.. at the mo we only have one lamb and he is a castrated ram lamb, but we are raising our sheep almost entirely on grass.. so depends how the grass lasts out... vs the freezer space.....
Can any one confirm the name given to sheep's meat due to age
Lamb (upto 12months old?)
Hogget (12 to 24 months?)
Mutton over 24 months?

Is this right?
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's the way I've always known it.