So you are here, how?

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.

How did you get here.

Google/Yahoo
13%
BBC Click on-Line
4%
Venue Magazine
4%
Bath Chronicle
No votes
The Spark
9%
Link from another site
39%
Told by a mate
17%
other (please post)
13%

Total votes: 23

jema
Tom Good
Tom Good

Andy Hamilton wrote:Hello rhyddid welcome to the site, I am glad you like it here. I hope that I can keep you interested with the new stuff that goes up.

I do tend to post every now and again on both the river cottage and the downsizer message boards and jema posts a bit on here. This site and the downsizer lot tend to help each other out a bit, we have similar ethics so it would be daft not to really.

Anyway look forward to hearing more from you
Andy :andy:
I can't honestly remember how I came here, though I do recall it was cap in hand and before i had managed to remember my own web site address :D Thank you Andy for your very polite response to my first post :oops: :lol:

jema

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

jema wrote: I can't honestly remember how I came here, though I do recall it was cap in hand and before i had managed to remember my own web site address :D Thank you Andy for your very polite response to my first post :oops: :lol:

jema
:lol: Yep I did think that you were promoting a VERY different site with a different ethos. The difference between .net and .com eh?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

jema
Tom Good
Tom Good

Andy Hamilton wrote:
jema wrote: I can't honestly remember how I came here, though I do recall it was cap in hand and before i had managed to remember my own web site address :D Thank you Andy for your very polite response to my first post :oops: :lol:

jema
:lol: Yep I did think that you were promoting a VERY different site with a different ethos. The difference between .net and .com eh?
I think it took me more than a month to stop making that mistake occasionally. ".com" is better if you can grab it, than ".net" regardless of whether you are really a ".com" or not. Was that your view when you got this domain?

jema

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

It had to be a .com really. As there was no other site called self sufficientish and we had really made up a new word there was no other real choice. We also wanted to appeal to the world so .co.uk was out of the question. I have always thought .com has more sway unless you can fit the suffix in the title, such as del.iso.us have or my friends at gurn.net that sounds better than gurn.com.
and...... Twitter

judyofthewoods
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I also opted for the .com as I thought it had more international appeal. Anyone the other side of the world seing co.uk and not knowing what the site was about, might think it was just suited for the British market (especially true if they thought the site was just selling something - the problem with postage for long distance...). On the subject of foreign countries, I was quite chaffed to see in my stats a visitor from Morocco, Italy, India and Pakistan, along with many UK and American visitors. A truely global community.
Greetings from Judy of the Woods

manxminx
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I found your site after doing a search on MSN a few days ago and have just made it my home page. It's great with lots of helpful hints, i really don't know what i'm doing (so will be asking for lots of help :withstupid: ) i'm a single mum with lots of dept and not alot of money trying to give my kids a happy , healthier lifestyle any help that you can give me will be greatfully received

jema
Tom Good
Tom Good

Welcome to the forum :)

jema

primrose
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i've found that growing things is actually quite easy, just stick them in the ground and do a rain dance. the great thing with children is that you can get them really involved in the whole growing process, meaning they're more likely to eat their vegetables because they have grown them theirselves - just a step up from grwoing cress in an eggshell

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

manxminx wrote:I found your site after doing a search on MSN a few days ago and have just made it my home page. It's great with lots of helpful hints, i really don't know what i'm doing (so will be asking for lots of help :withstupid: ) i'm a single mum with lots of dept and not alot of money trying to give my kids a happy , healthier lifestyle any help that you can give me will be greatfully received
made it you home page, brilliant that is certainly a huge compliment. Ask away there are collectively years of experience on here. Food for kids is a subject that we are looking into and expect to see something on that soon. Also the vegetable articles all come with nutritional information. If there are any specific articles you would like to see then let us know and we will write something.

Primrose is sort of right about the growing things, I say sort of pests and weeds can be a problem. Slugs are my main garden nemesis. Hopefully my pond will attract some frogs this year I prefer them to be food than me just outright killing them.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would like to add my welcome Manxminx (cute name) :lol: , I can understand you problems a little bit, years ago when the kids were much smaller and I wasn't paid so well there were times when we were eating out of the veggie patch because that was all there was.

Times do get better.

If you have an interest you can achieve a lot, without the money, if you are prepared to have a go. They are a good lot here and you can find support as well as information on this site.
:cheers:
Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I forgot to add welcome to the site Primrose, happy posting
and...... Twitter

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

I found your site when I was looking, desperately, for help and advice with the overgrown allotment that I had just acquired. I got here via an allotment site, but I use this now for help and advice because it seems to be used more often so people reply to my pleas for help more quickly and they are friendly as well..it's a brilliant site

Bugs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Perhaps not surprisingly I'm here because Andy's always popping up on Downsizer :wink: and I thought it was time to return the favour. So I've put "link from another site" even though I might have already heard of you before.. 8)

Haven't had much chance to explore the site yet because most of my internet time seems to be spent on DS these days, but I am going to try to find time to explore a bit more, from what I've seen so far it will be well worth my while. :wave:

Where's the plain old big smiley emoticon by the way???! :(

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

cheers diver glad you like the site :mrgreen:

And welcome Bugs, the big simley ah, well when I first installed this forum I also installed the same 300 or so smileys that downsizer has I thought this was a bit big and ended up delting a load of them. I use Mr green instead. maybe I should have lied and said that it was another way we are being invidual. :mrgreen:
and...... Twitter

Bugs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hmm, he's a bit scarey for me, that green one. I like this one :cheers: but it's a bit over enthusiastic.

Ah well, I'll just have to have an even more miserable personality on here than elsewhere :cry: