the freeconomy community

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Saoirse
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

the freeconomy community

Hey everyone,

Just came across this site, it is wonderful eh!

Last year I set up a project called 'The Freeconomy Community' (http://www.justfortheloveofit.org) which i think would be right up your collective alley!

It's aim is to rebuild resilient communities through the power of sharing - skills, tools, spaces, land, ideas - and in doing so break down the barriers of fear that have been erected in our society.

So not only do members get to learn new skills, get jobs down for free, use tools they don't own themselves etc, they also get to meet loads of great people within a 10 mile radius of their house! It's a win-win-win situation

It is a great tool for this 'transition' period we are entering, as a diverse range of skills amongst communities who know each other will be essential for our survival.

It already has over 5,000 members in 89 countries of the world.

Let me know what you think, it is obviously free to join (we don't even accept donations!) Let's go as money-free as possible and build a world based on trust, generosity, kindness and caring.
Be the change you want to see in the world...

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hiya Saoirse, and welcome to the Ishers! Definitely sounds a great concept...

Only, I was thinking - meeting lots of people in a 10 mile radius of your house - well, if I applied that here, I wouldn't meet all that many I don't know yet... (There's just not many people around here! :wink: )

I'll have a look at your website when I have a bit more time.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: the freeconomy community

Saoirse wrote:Hey everyone,

Just came across this site, it is wonderful eh!

Last year I set up a project called 'The Freeconomy Community' (http://www.justfortheloveofit.org) which i think would be right up your collective alley!

It's aim is to rebuild resilient communities through the power of sharing - skills, tools, spaces, land, ideas - and in doing so break down the barriers of fear that have been erected in our society.

So not only do members get to learn new skills, get jobs down for free, use tools they don't own themselves etc, they also get to meet loads of great people within a 10 mile radius of their house! It's a win-win-win situation

It is a great tool for this 'transition' period we are entering, as a diverse range of skills amongst communities who know each other will be essential for our survival.

It already has over 5,000 members in 89 countries of the world.

Let me know what you think, it is obviously free to join (we don't even accept donations!) Let's go as money-free as possible and build a world based on trust, generosity, kindness and caring.
looks interesting - will join, as it's free.
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Sao......how are the lazy, want want want but don't give brigade dealt with.
Over the years such people have learnt to con their way thru life, so by nature are good talkers.
Leave only footprints..take only photographs and wabbits.

Saoirse
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Archie wrote:Hi Sao......how are the lazy, want want want but don't give brigade dealt with.
Over the years such people have learnt to con their way thru life, so by nature are good talkers.
It may not be the answer you want to hear, but the community is about unconditional giving. So if someone wants to take, take, take, that is fine, as long as he / she finds someone who will help them. The philosophy is that in time even those people will eventually have a change of heart.

Society is never going to change unless we bring the want, want, wanters along for the ride, because at the moment there is a lot of that attitude in the world.

The ethos behind it is quite Gandhian - that you can help transform a person through unconditional giving. And apart from anything else, if another human being needs help, why not just help them, who cares if you get anything in return. Thats my philosophy anyway, can understand if you don't agree. It is quite idealist. I hope so.

Barter / exchange systems can work on a physical level, but do they do anything for that part of a person you can't see?
Be the change you want to see in the world...

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hear what you say, Sao....not unlike the conditional love of a mother for the child, BUT later on doesn't the father step in, for discipline and work ethic.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

freecycle works on a similar basis - unconditional offers.

Yes there are a few people who take, take, take but the majority of people are good, generous and willing to enter into the spirit of the thing.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Archie wrote:Hear what you say, Sao....not unlike the conditional love of a mother for the child, BUT later on doesn't the father step in, for discipline and work ethic.
so are you implying that Fathers don't give unconditional love?? and that the Mother is the only Parent capable of this?

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

grahoom wrote:
Archie wrote:Hear what you say, Sao....not unlike the conditional love of a mother for the child, BUT later on doesn't the father step in, for discipline and work ethic.
so are you implying that Fathers don't give unconditional love?? and that the Mother is the only Parent capable of this?
No Grahoom...I posted wrong should have read UNconditional love of a mother, and I'm sure my Dad loved me when he clipped me for misbehaving.

possum

WARNING!
my virus checker picked up a virus on that link.
Opinionated but harmless

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Archie wrote:
grahoom wrote:
No Grahoom...I posted wrong should have read UNconditional love of a mother, and I'm sure my Dad loved me when he clipped me for misbehaving.
must have been role reversal in my family, it was always my mum who threatened me with the wooden spoon if I misbehaved! saying that i did get a clip round the back of the head from my dad a couple of times...

ina

possum wrote:WARNING!
my virus checker picked up a virus on that link.
Seemed to be OK here... :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

kittiecat
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I also had no problems with viruses when using the link, but that could be because I'm not so good with computers...