Eco deoderant

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
velocidad
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i've made something similar to eva's witch hazel concoction with good results. i'm using some pitrock spray at the moment which also seems to work well. not cheep but last a long time. not used the crystal things, but will be giving them a go.

cheers, velocidad. :wink:

QuakerBear
A selfsufficientish Regular

Update on deoderant experiment:

Neither arm pit is smelling. I had a sweaty riding lesson last week and didn't wash till the morning after (please send pity thoughts to Mr. QB), but still neither arm pit smelled.

To take this further, please don't be grossed out, I haven't had a bath today. Just one bath, yesterday at about noon. I'm hoping to test the lasting potential of each deoderant. I shall report back on todays findings.

For the next stage of the experiment I plan to use only the crystal under one arm and nothing under the other.

I need to get out more.
QuakerBear

ina

QuakerBear wrote: I need to get out more.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, somebody has to test these things - you are doing mankind (and womankind :roll: ) a favour, really!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

hamster

Public service announcement:

For those tempted to try my cider vinegar deodorant regime, DO NOT apply it immediately after shaving.

Thank you. :lol:
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

QuakerBear

Another update:

I had a bath this morning (Tuesday), the first since mid-day Sunday. I thought I caught a wiff from the right, crystal deoderant before I got into the bath but Mr. QB had a sniff and could smell nothing from either pit.

I'm back to regular washing now but I'm going to have to find ways to exert myself more to test each product more rigorously.
QuakerBear

Shirley

hamster wrote:Public service announcement:

For those tempted to try my cider vinegar deodorant regime, DO NOT apply it immediately after shaving.

Thank you. :lol:
:mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: OUCH!!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

kiery
Tom Good
Tom Good

It is interesting to read all these ideas for an eco deoderant as I am always on the look out for a green alternative. I haven't tried any crystals but over the years I have used pitrock, Weleda and green people deoderant and haven't found them any good.

However, one thing I have found absolutely amazing is using a lemon.

I don't want to stop myself sweating but I want to stop smelling and I read that cutting a slice of lemon and them rubbing it underarm apparently stops any whiffs. So each morning for 3 months I have been slicing the lemon and rubbing it under my arm. By the end of the day when I would be a bit pongy I don't smell. :cheers:

My DH is getting a bit peeved off with me thrusting my pits in his face with the question, "does it smell? That's amazing isn't it?"

One small lemon seems to last a week. I have used a lemon on freshly shaved pits and it doesn't sting very much either.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds interesting...But, personally, i'm going to stick to the Happy Herbal stick!

I did do an experiment with the stainless steel disc - don't bother!! I used it for 3 days, and every day i was stinky. I got my sister (poor Nik!) to do the sniff test, and on the third day she point blank refused!

I think it might work if you use it when you start to smell, but its usually too late by then, by the time you've noticed it everone else has been backing off...

The Happy Herbal one works for about 4-6 hours. Nik says that you need to breathe on it when you use it to melt the top slightly, otherwise its a bit solid, but if you add some more of the liquid oil, or some palm kernel/palm oil (both soft/hard oils...and get the certified ones) then it will be a little less solid.

kashmir
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

As far as the salt crystal deos go I found that a quick swish swish (as you might do with a paraben) is not really sufficient-ish. It seems to need to be swiped around for bit longer. I got either my deo stick end or my pit nice and wet and then swiped until both were dry, my hubby thought this was overkill as he did the two swipe thing. He was stinky, I was not :lol: . Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the subject.

Carrie
Just a country girl at heart living in the city.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know - sometimes just listening to people does wonders. I ain't no research chemist but ...

Witch hazel looks like it is a "sworn by" ingredient. Witch Hazel is chemically neutral - that may have something to do with it.

A few responses are based on acids (another sworn by ingredient) - particularly citric, 'cos it smells nice - and definitely NOT neutral.

The stainless steel thing REALLY needs to be looked at because so many people, like the man fron Del Monte, say yes.

One or two people still insist that the mere presence of a crystal does miraculous stuff. Sorry - I can't help but be facetious. "**??&IT"

Mandyz
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

crystal

i use a "crystal" deodorant and have for years with good results. of corse, every now and then on a particularly sweaty day I may smell a little, but would with chemical deodarant too (i know from past experience).

the crystal is actually a mineral - not just some stone that magically keeps smell away (in response to the last post) :)

i'm interested in trying some of these other options, particularly for OH who does need something stronger. i hate the smell of commercial deo. but he keeps going back to them b/c he's been too lazy to look for alt. I have to make him wash his pits before bed so i won't smell chemicals/ perfumes. eww.

QuakerBear

Final Update:

For the first two weeks of March I tried using the crystal under my right arm and nothing under my left, as a control. I ended this experiment early as I found that my left arm pit was starting to smell a little. Obviously I do perspire and am not an android.

Since then I've been using the crystal under both. I seem to be slightly more wet then usual so it's not stopping me from perspiring but there isn't a smell. At the beginning of this week Mr. QB started using the crystal too and hasn't yet honked.

One other obsevation; I've been used to seeing either a powder or a slime from commercial deoderants. In contrast you can't see anything come off the crystal deoderant so it felt like there was nothing there which was a little worrying at first. Seems to work non the less.
QuakerBear

pouch
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I use Tom's of Maine unscented deodorant

they do some scented ones too (all natural scents) all their deodorants smell nice :)

aluminium free, no chemicals and not tested on animals

www.tomsofmaine.com