Aternative Therapies - Kathy Sykes

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aternative Therapies - Kathy Sykes

Ok. Colours to the mast here. I'm a reflexologist. I've been watching these programmes and they are what Douglas Adams would call "mostly harmless". But does anyone else thing that with the BBC dropping all the website content on complementary therapies (whatever your view of them), this is just pushing the sceptic view at the expense of the therapies. Don't care about the therapists. We can take care of ourselves. But to give you a f'rinstance, on the reflexology programme Dr. Sykes said there were 15 research papers, didn't tell you what they were or what was in them and dismissed them without another word. Actually there are hundreds and the majority fall in favour of the therapy, especially those related to maternity and palliative care.

Anyway, I'll go away now or I might start ranting. Happy to hear anyone's opinion, good or bad and on either side of the argument.

Lynne

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Never watched any of the programmes (no telly), but I also hate it when they say "research shows" etc - and don't give proper references. That happens with regard to organic farming, GM and other similar subjects all the time... Science quoted very selectively, and not referenced! :roll:

And reflexology helped my father a lot in his last years...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am of the opinion that if it works for you, regardless of if this is for scientific , therapeutic, psychosomatic or whatever then surely it works.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

not seen the programme - but it's a pain when their 'research' is always on the side of the pharmaceutical companies

colours/mast - I use homeopathic remedies (to good effect) also go to a chiropractor and have used 'self-treat reflexology' from a book which worked, and other non-conventional treatments

I'm sick of the mainline media rubbishing the treatment that works (it's never all-in-the-mind when it works on animals) because they are spouting research paid for and supplied by drug sellers,

always remember the 'safe' drugs that have caused severe damage
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, gets my goat too. Personally, I have little time for non-reproducible claims of any kind. On the other hand, a homeopathic remedy once worked for me (Shrug).

However, lsm, it does your cause little good to crit. Ms. Sykes (15 papers and not one of them referenced) and then tell us that there are actually hundreds of them, but you don't reference any either.

Not that I'm having a go, you understand.

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hypnotherapy certainly worked for the woman who had 2 teeth abstracted without anesthetic :shock: - I'm with Snapdragon - if it works - Brilliant - and it must be saving the NHS a packet

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG wrote:However, lsm, it does your cause little good to crit. Ms. Sykes (15 papers and not one of them referenced) and then tell us that there are actually hundreds of them, but you don't reference any either.
Of course. My apologies. Try http://www.reflexology-research.com/Abstracts.html as a starting point.

I use homoeopathy, reflexology, reiki and osteopathy. All to good effect. I'm also a firm believer in the placebo effect. Doctors used to be able to prescribe peppermint water and sugar pills and people got better. If it works, where's the problem? Likewise, if you're determined to have a headache no amount of aspirin is going to shift it. It works both ways.

Lynne

Milims

Hmmm - we have loads of conventional medicines in our house. When ever we go to the docs they give some more. My OH has a conditions which requires lots of medication and so far what the doctor has prescribed has damaged his liver, twice, (so he had to come off that one) another has given him severe vertigo, (one of the side effects that say "stop taking that RIGHT NOW") and another has made him permanently feel like he's had 4 G&T's (ok maybe not so bad :drunken: ), and he still couldn't function in way anywhere near "normal"!. Guess what has worked best of all for allowing him to live a fairly "normal" life - TENS and TLC!
I think that far too often we just accept the pills and potions that the Doc gives without finding out what they really do. We trust implicitly that these people know us so well that they have the power to cure all ills. BS! We stand a far better chance of understanding whats ailing us and how to cure it by paying attention to ourselves or by having someone actually pay attention to us as an individual and not a set or symptoms. Enter: the "alternative" therapies. Although not so "alternative" - how about describing them as sensible, personal, bespoke and far less poisonous!
Yes - I confess that I still use some conventional medicines - but when there is something really bothering me I go to someone who cares!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!