mutton

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

mutton

we have been offered a 'cull ewe' - that is a ewe that is deemed no good for breeding from - for mutton . she is 2 years old, so we are talking tough meat here. we can have her for nothing.. but would have to cover teh costs of slaughter and butcher

I dont have a lot of experience of mutton... would you take up this offer?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Shirley

I love mutton - I'd go for it :-) Lots of flavour.

http://www.muttonrenaissance.org.uk/
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

red

oh thanks for that link Shirlz.

I have always like the idea of keeping some lambs back for mutton.. just not actually done it...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

MUTTON!!!!

Rocking horse manure ...

I'm so jealous.

red

okie.. you are making me feel i should say yes....
Red

etsy shop

blog

baldowrie

GO FOR IT!

You won't regret it, honestly.

Nudge me for some recipes when you get it, I have a few tasty ones...well I think they are tasty and so do the kiddlewinkies!

2pig2sheep1cow
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

yes i'd go for it.
i've had mutten once and wish i could have it again but no one will eat it in my house. :cry: :shock:

red

2pig2sheep1cow wrote:yes i'd go for it.
i've had mutten once and wish i could have it again but no one will eat it in my house. :cry: :shock:
why not?
Red

etsy shop

blog

Carl H
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Worth the fee, certainly. Loin chops will be tasty, the (rear) legs are good slow roasted - marinated w/olive oil, garlic slivers inserted in cuts all over the roast, then rubbed with a mix of sweet hungarian paprika, black pepper, oregano, rosemary, thyme. Shoulders are nice done this way too, tho' I'm as likely to cut shoulders up for stewmeat, I like it that much. Neckbones and other cuts are also great for stew. The shanks can be slow cooked w/spices as above + red wine. I'd grind odd cuts & have 'lamburgers' well spiced w/black pepper, garlic and chile, grilled with plenty of red wine to go around. Nice Syrah/Grenache blends (cotes du rhones, cd ventoux, etc...) is always my lamb/mutton + grill suggestion.

Others may disagree, but I don't use the fat of older sheep (or deer & goats) and I cut all 'silverskin' off the mutton (have your butcher do it if you're not familiar with this). Removing as much mutton fat as possible gets rid of a lot of 'off-gamey' flavour, in my experience.

Bon appetit!

red

thanks CArl - making me hungry! himself has plans for mutton sausage... but we have to decide if we want to take up the offer first! (i think we have been convinced)
Red

etsy shop

blog

2pig2sheep1cow

i live in a house with my girlfriend's muther and all she likes is chips, and if she doesn't like anything then all my girlfriend gets is don't feed me that again, and we can only eat it if she's out.
can't wait to move out.
:oops:

VSS

the mutton won't be tough if you hang the carcasse long enough and then cook the meat slow enough.

we recently killed a 4 year old wether, hung it for ten days before butchering and the slow roast meat is to die for. Fat for many tastes, but you can trim that off if you wish. The minced breast makes sublime bolognese.

dont look this particular gift horse in the mouth.

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mutton in my opinion is far far tastier than lamb, we all love it.
Def take up the offer!

Jack

Gidday

Well mate, I live on mutton, well almost. As far as I am concerned it is the best meat you can get.

Of course, that is as long as the animal is in reasonable condition. Ask why she is being culled, in case it has some nasty disease but other than that you are on a win.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

theabsinthefairy

certainly accept it

Mutton is lovely meat just cook it slow and moist, and try to trim as much fat off as possible.

You should certainly get your money's worth out of it in terms of cuts and anything else you can mince up and make dry cured sausages with.

Yummy. Mutton casserole. Divine.