To anyone else Yahoo is worthless...........

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

To anyone else Yahoo is worthless...........

why on earth is Microsnot paying WAYYYYYYYYY over the odds for the long-past-it's best Yahoo? What on earth would anybody want with a clapped out search engine that is so slow and inaccurate that it hasn't been worth using for over 5 years?:shock:
About the only thing I think of is for it's database of members.......
Ally that to the spyware built into Vista.........
(seem to remember I registered for some crap online Yahoo forum..........hmmmmm!) :?
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freecycle groups are on Yahoo :shock:

Microsoft can't buy google... and it is easier to compete with them by just buying a huge (albeit crappy) competitor... but sounds a tad crazy to me too.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Arimiel
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I agree with you, martin...
I know which side I will never visit again ... it will be vista contanimated.....
well i never understood yahoo... the groups i wanted in never worked.... so i am lucky... didn't visit it since 2005...
let micro go bankcrupt with it... would be intresting to observe how that would affect the ecconomy....
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.
Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959)

Shirley

I've got BT Yahoo broadband... does that get affected? What about flickr? etc
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

It's all to do with advertising ... Google is #1 and Yahoo #2 in web ad's, hence the crazy valuation

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yahoo may be #2 but Martin has got a point... it's a bit useless!! The only thing good on it is Freecycle and the Sims 2 groups that I download stuff from... but to be honest they are annoying... far too complicated!!!

counting down the days until Google makes an OS!!! Microsnot (sorry, Martin have to steal that it's great) is money-grabbing and awful and macs are just confusing (sorry to Mac lovers... just don't get it!!!) argh!!

Google OS please!!!! I'd buy it!!!!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

elfcurry
Tom Good
Tom Good

Google OS ??

Try another OS.

For instance Ubuntu, a variety of Linux is free (both in the 'not constrained' sense as well as costing you nowt) and is easy to install and use.

Really, it is. I tried varieties of Linux in the past and had trouble installing and configuring it and gave up but this is just a breeze. Four installations on different old machines and no problems.

I've been using Ubuntu with no problems for about six months and feel really happy to dump Microsnot. (good name!)

My email is Yahoo and don't much like the idea of my info being sold to the devil so if it goes through, I'm off.

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

elfcurry there's something I don't get though...

.....if I do convert to a different OS like linux or something, I am assuming that software I have for Microsnot pooters wont work?

I've paid hundreds (quite literally :cry: ) for my sims 2 games as well as having a few grand's worth of audio software on here.... so if they wont work on a new OS I'd be a bit peeved!..... however I don't know, can anyone enlighten me?

hamster

Yeah, I've thought about that too, as I don't really want to have to get Vista if I need a new laptop (which thanks to planned obsolescence I probably will in a couple of years). I use my laptop for work as well, though, and I need to use Outlook and Word and Messenger, basically because everybody else uses them. If I switch to a new OS, would it be compatible with other computers in the same way?
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Martin

you don't NEED to use Outlook, Word and Messenger.............have a look at Open Office- it'll open all your microsoft files, and save them as microsnot formats if you wish (forget Works and Office) -- Firefox is the best browser, and the Thunderbird mail programme is superior to, and compatible with the windoze mail programmes (will happily import old emails, address books etc......)
I have NO problems at all with compatibility using Ubuntu and Xandros.
For Niki, if you really must run Windoze software, there are several programmes that allow you to do so in a "window" in Ubuntu :cooldude:
If you want to try the "cowards way", download "Wubi", choose the "ubuntu" download - leave it to download and install (can take AGES, it's 700mb), then you have a choice when you boot up - Windoze or Ubuntu.......I've booted into Windoze at most 6 times since going that route last year (only because I'd "forgotten" things) :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.

Martin

ps, save a LOT of money, DELL will do you a laptop running Ubuntu! (which is FREE)
then use Open Office to produce "docs" and suchlike............ :wink:
Even Google use Ubuntu in their offices! :cooldude:

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've heard a lot about unbuntu... but to be honest I'm too nervous to even try and load it!!

Although... my computer has just royally crashed to pieces on me (now using a poorly 4 year old laptop that, miraculously, still works!).... don't know about their laptops but Dell pcs are a bit on the rubbish side (that's the one that's just crashed... and they're being pains about fixing it!!!).

I'm not too worried about using office files (word/excel etc.) because if I need things transferring to uni they use macs anyway... so I end up plunking it all into Google files online and downloading stuff at uni... it works... somehow...

I'm just nervous that I'm not going to get things like Cubase & WaveLab (and, when I get it, ProTools!) to work "normally" (by that I mean I can tweak it and add things to it the way I do at the moment) in ubunto.... and, along those lines, I use an external sound card (M-audio FireWire solo... it's my baby!!) will that be compatible?? What about other stuff like my usb keyboard (the piano-type-variety!) It's soo confusing!!!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm running Vista. It amuses me that the US government may be spying on me. I hope that if they find anything interesting, they'll let me know.

ina

MKG wrote:I'm running Vista. It amuses me that the US government may be spying on me. I hope that if they find anything interesting, they'll let me know.
Hey - they might learn something useful, like how to grow your own veg... :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)