101 Delicious Recipes for Potatoes

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

25. Bombay potatoes Fabulous :) let me know if you'd like a recipe

theabsinthefairy
A selfsufficientish Regular

26 - Potato pastry, just leave out the fat, and add an equal to flour quantity of mashed spuds, and a bit of water to bind if required, roll out and top off your pies with it. Less stodge, and as you can season the mash really flavoursome. I do only use it to top off pies, not encase them.

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

27. Don't know what it's called as I learned it by watching a friend cook it, when I was living in Egypt (she had no English & my Arabic didn't extend much beyond ordering a cuppa the way I like it)!

slice potatoes into a saucepan, slice onion on top, then slice tomatoes onto it. Add veg stock cube, lump of margarine/ butter & sprinkle paprika or chilli powder. Pour on cold water to just cover the veg, cover & cook 'til tates are soft.

It's served in Egypt mostly as a side dish, but I love to have a big dish of it, like a chunky soup. I call it Nanny's Dish, as it was Nanny who taught me how to cook it.

ina

Arimiel wrote:24. 1packet of dried barm/yeast(which word is the right one..)...
yeast
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

contadina

Ooh I'm going to have to try both Fadge and Nanny's dish as they sound really good. Just thought of two variations of a theme that no self-respecting potato list should be without.

28. Colcannon (creamy mash mixed with shredded cooked cabbage)

29, Champ (creamy mash mixed with spring onions that have been cooked in milk first)

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

mash potato with leeks, carrot, cabbage,onions,swede and a knob of butter all fried in a big pan until slightly burnt then top with fresh black pudding and two fried duck eggs.
jane only allows me this once every few weeks :oops: to much gathering around the middle he he !

Russ
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Pilsbury
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cassiepod wrote:25. Bombay potatoes Fabulous :) let me know if you'd like a recipe
recipe please, i have about 6 but none that quite hit the spot so I like to try as many as i can.

as for potato salads i do one with beetroot and apple with mayonaise, fabulous
Never trust a skinny chef
www.handmademeat.co.uk

ina

Pilsbury wrote: as for potato salads i do one with beetroot and apple with mayonaise, fabulous
Our traditional New Year's Eve potato salad was like that - plus herring in it, too...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

marshlander

31. Roast potatoes and onions with balsmic vinegar and thyme.

about 1 1/2 pounds spuds cut into chunks, 2 med onions cut into wedges (leave the root end on so they don't fall apart), 2 fl oz/60mm balsamin vinegar, a tablespoonful fresh thyme, oilve oil, salt. pepper.

Toss the spuds and oinons in sufficient oils to coat, cover with foil and roast for about half an hour at 200c.
Wack the heat up to 220c, take off the foil, add seasoning, thyme and balsamic and toss.
Roast for another half hour approx till brown and crisp.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

citizentwiglet

Mollocated Potatoes...

Take one large or two small spuds per person (depending on appetite!). Don't peel them, just chuck them into boiling water and cook until soft.
Remove from pan, place on a baking tray and bash the buggers with a masher a couple of times. They should sort of collapse and crumble.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea-salt and black pepper and wallop in the oven at about 180 degrees C for around 30 mins.
The skins will go all crisp and crunchy, the middles should be lovely and fluffy.

It does depend on which potatoes you have - Maris Piper and King Edwards make gorgeous ones, but I've never had a duff one.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden