recycled printer

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

recycled printer

Hi all can anyone out there help
i have been given a lexmark x1270 printer but i do not have the disc to load it on my computer, can anyone reccomend a safe site that i can download the apropriate stuff to use the printer. :?
or any other way of getting my computer to accept the printer, sorry if this sounds very basic but when it comes to computers i am VERY basic :oops:
thanks
Russ
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

if you are running windows XP there is a chance you wont need drivers to make the printer work... but i'm not sure. mine didn't need the drivers, I'm on WinXP home edition with service pack 2...
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

The manufacturer's site is usually a good place to start. They will often supply drivers and updates for their machines. Try this link - providing you are running Win2000 or newer, it looks like they still support it.

While I applaud your desire to use a printer that someone else doesn't want, my experience with Lexmark was that the ink cartridges were pretty pricey - in my case a pair of cartridges cost as much as a new printer which included cartridges. That's the madness of consumerism for you.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Thanks for the advice i found out that the ink would cost me £29 but a new printer about £23 how stupid is that you were dead right with the prices thanks again for the advice
:cheers: :cheers: all the best
Russ
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

my computer was originally from essex LEA when i was at uni (I'm a dyslexic who spent most of her first year unable to walk properly due to back problems)...they wanted to give me a laptop and a lexmark all in one thingummy, but i requested that i have a desktop comp that i could begin to upgrade after the guarantee expired (*ahem* nobody mention the TV card I put in 3 weeks after getting the bugger!!) and any printer/scanner set up that didnt have the lexmark name to it. I got an HP printer, £300 a year for computer consumables while i was at uni, HP scanner which wasnt fantastic but did the job and I ended up with my PC which has seen me through 5 years of careful bodging and is lovingly known now as FrankenPC (I know I know, frankenstein was the doctor not the monster :p ). the printer and scanner i was given served me well until i went into a job involving high level image processing. I am proud to say that although my scanner was a gift from my darling hubby, I worked for the printer.

Lexmark are good printers though, despite the really expensive cartridges. plus, would you be able to get them refilled rather than buying nw ones?
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!