I Can ? Can You ?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
john
Living the good life
Living the good life

I Can ? Can You ?

My website www.recycling.moonfruit.com has had over 2'000 hits yet I've only had one person write a e-mail to me asking me how she can help me to recycle more,to help stop her waste plastic containers going into landfill sites,which she throws away every day because she works for a big company which dose not have a recycling system in place for them to use. Which I hope I can help change in the future with her help and her work mates too. This I've offered to help her do on a small or large scale last week,after her reading about me in our local Swanley and Dartford News Shopper,dated the 12-1-2005,under the heading,IT IS FREE AND IT HELPS SAVE LIVES. Whilst I alone have reused at least 9,000 plastic containers of many shapes and sizes on my half allotment plot,if I had others join me in at least trying my new ways of growing things for example,we would add another way to what's already being done now, but because it's the first of it's kind ,which there is no other system in the world can match for free, because it can all be made in a simple way from rubbish it seams people are reluctant to use it because there's No digging involved,No weeds,No snails No slugs, No gardening tools,and less insects to control, plus it can be used on most flat surfaces, this includes water,it can also be made to carry water,food,tools,clothing,and the like,plus my simple to make transportable system has it's own water recycling system built in to it,which there is no other system in the world can match for free too. Which also means I can grow things all year round,like potatoes, carrots,onions,herbs for example to name a few, and for longer. For example my Sutton broad beans are already 6 inches high sown on the 11-11-2004 outside,and I've just put some Scarlet Emperor runner beans in today outside,like my broad beans in bottomless upside down 2 litre plastic bottles,which are inside cut upside down 2 litre milk containers, which are inside a row of 10 cut upside down 6 pint milk containers,to form part of my pallet section bottom 5 rows, before I put at least another (120) 4 rows of plastic containers above them to protect them from the frost now or to grow some thing else in. I've got some leeks ,carrots,onions still growing to name a few,sown on the 12-1-2004 last year which I will harvest when I want to,and in all weathers too. I Can ? Can You ? John.
Last edited by john on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
designed by me to help to save millions of lives
and to reuse-recycle millions of tonnes of waste
plastic container,and unwanted wooden pallets
too.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day John,

You certainly have some good stuff happening here!
:cheers:
I must admit to being a bit thick :cry: and not 100% sure of how your containers are put together. Would it be possible to include some line drawings, diagrams on your site to help improve my understanding?

Thanks

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

[quote="Wombat"]G'Day John,

You certainly have some good stuff happening here!
:cheers:
I must admit to being a bit thick :cry: and not 100% sure of how your containers are put together. Would it be possible to include some line drawings, diagrams on your site to help improve my understanding?

Thanks

nev
I'ts nice to know you are interested in the way I do things,I'm sorry that my novice website www.recycling.moonfruit.com did not give to you enough information on how to make my simple transportable system,after me putting so many photos on my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com which I did to help people like you in AUSTRALIA and in the rest of the world see with their own eyes what I have done,you can do too,with your waste plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets. Please take another look at my website again,and also please visit another website allotments-uk.com ,who are helping me to promote my ideas,there you will read more about me and my ideas,under New recycling ideas, or please visit downsizer.com to do the same. If you want to know more please post here again. John ( JRP )

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks John, I will do as you suggest.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Ray123

Saving lives???

John -I'm very confused, how exactly are you saving lives? You are reducing the space in a landfill site certainly, but how is this changing the life of an African child? - RE the picture on the front page of your website.

I really find your point of view hard to grasp and found your website to be very misleading too. As far as I can see all your doing is putting milk cartons onto pallets and filling them with compost - none of which are available in rural Africa.

Are you suggesting pallets and milk cartons are sent to Africa? Why would rubbish be intentionally sent to Africa, the environmental damage caused by the aviation fuel alone would negate the environmental savings.

Your idea is not a bad one and it is quite commendable that you have saved that much landfill space. But surely ultimately we should be looking at alternatives such as bio-degradable plastics or a move back to glass bottles.

-Ray

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

It's a sad day for me?

:( Another sad day for me and my life saving recycling ideas.
Why. Because after speaking to a very understanding man going by the name of Mr Huw Slipper who helps to make the Paul O'Grady show on ITV. He had to inform me that my allotment plot was not the type of allotment plot that they were looking for. It was not bizarre enough even though my allotment plot is made completely from waste plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets too. With a themed approach to no digging gardening,as I only use 3 tools. A sharp knife,a crowbar,and a claw-hammer to make my transportable system work.
The shame part was he said that he could not get onto my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com, because it was so advanced compared to the ITV one. But what he did say if they ever did a bit about recycling he would contact me,and then put the phone down. This was after me trying to tell him all about what I was doing and the way I was doing it.
Which if he had got to see my website I would not have had to say so much in the short amount of time he had to listen to me.
Which I'm sure won't be a waste of time at the end of the day. John JRP.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

How to make my BIRD FEEDER?

Take any size plastic bottle with a screw on cap,make a hole in the middle of the cap to pass a length of string through,next tie a large knot at one end to stop it pulling through. Next cut 2 or more upside down letter (T) in your bottle oppsite each other,fold inwards to leave a triangle shape with the inner folds nearly touching each other,also fold in the bottom straight bit so the birds don't hurt their feet. Also make some holes in the base to let any rain water out. Fill from the top with bird seeds or nuts and tie up.
Now wait to see the small birds feed,letting the bigger birds pick up what's dropped. To see other thing I've made from rubbish please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com ,it won't be a waste of your time. John.JRP.
Last edited by john on Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm ON TV.

:lol: GOOD NEWS?
SEE ME, JRP. RECYCLING ON TV BBC2 AT 1-30pm 13-4-2005 ( WORKING LUNCH ) PROGRAMME.
too.

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'm thinking I might experiment with plastic milk cartons along the lines you've suggested. However, my particular interest is in making use of vertical space. My garden is north facing and so a lot of it is quite shady but I've got a couple of fences that are fairly bare and get a reasonably good amount of sun - if I mount some upside down milk cartons among the vertical structures I've got planned for climbing plants, it might provide a good way of getting good crops of sun-loving herbs such as basil, etc.

Hope the TV appearance goes well.

Wulf

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good News,I'm going to be on SKY TV in the future.

After me being on BBC 2 just by chance,I'm now going to be on SKY TV in the future as part of a documentary,all about suburban Gardening,after already being interviewed and filmed too the other day by the SKY programme makers. I'm also hopeing to be filmed again at Greenwhich Park SE 10 on the 5-June 2005,where I will be exhibiting my very simple to make transportable recycling system off as part of a event celebrating World Environment Day. Which is also part of the London Green Lifestyle Show. Which I think will be a great day for all involved,and for those who come to see the exhibitions,produce and entertainment too. Why not come and say hello to me and see my system on a smaller scale which I CAN? YOU CAN? make too if your interested in re-using rubbish and saving lives too,like me. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

My website looks better now?

:mrgreen: To every one who has visited my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com in the past,I have changed a few things to make it look better,I hope you agree. John.JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Helping to make poverty history?

8) Hi every one who knows about me,now is the time to tell the world on my behalf that there is a system that works,which can help in the fight against world poverty. To those who think I'm wasting my time on trying to save lives and reduce waste too,you are very much in the minority,as there are far more people who do care about others,who want to do their bit to help make poverty history in some way,like Sir Bob Geldof for example he is just one person out of thousands who won't give up like me,no matter what you say,if we can save just one life,it's got to be worth it. To those who would like to know,I will be on TV again on the 6 January 2006 SKY one. It's all about the Secret Life of Suburbia made by Shine TV for SKY TV. Filmed in June this year 2005. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Another month gone by and still no help?

:( Hi every one who would like to know what I've been doing since I last posted. I've been showing some old folk the way I grow things with the help of Age Concern on a voluntary basis,with 5 more community complex associations to visit in the ELTHAM LONDON area SE9,which I hope will help spread the word about the way I re-use plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets to grow things.
I've also been harvesting my peas,broad beans,runner beans, french beans,potatoes,lettuces,and my strawberries to name a few,with still lots more crops to pick,for example 150 tomato plants in 3 sections on my half plot,which are Money Makers,Ailsa Craige,and Garden Delight,which are now getting plentyof water they need due to the rain we are having,which does not stop me from going onto my plot because nothing is grown in the ground.
That's why I can carry 5 rows of my containers with their crops in with me to show every one in the boot of my car,to then put them all back where they came from at the end of the day,after they have been exhibited in doors or out side to show just how much you can grow in such a small space if you want to.
By the way has any body tried my way of doing things yet? John JRP.
too.

Re: Saving lives???

Ray123 wrote:John -I'm very confused, how exactly are you saving lives? You are reducing the space in a landfill site certainly, but how is this changing the life of an African child? - RE the picture on the front page of your website.

I really find your point of view hard to grasp and found your website to be very misleading too. As far as I can see all your doing is putting milk cartons onto pallets and filling them with compost - none of which are available in rural Africa.

Are you suggesting pallets and milk cartons are sent to Africa? Why would rubbish be intentionally sent to Africa, the environmental damage caused by the aviation fuel alone would negate the environmental savings.

Your idea is not a bad one and it is quite commendable that you have saved that much landfill space. But surely ultimately we should be looking at alternatives such as bio-degradable plastics or a move back to glass bottles.

-Ray
Can you answer this I wonder? :?

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

CONFUSED?

:( Hi Ray I'm sorry to hear that your still confused 7 months on from when you last posted here. I've tried to answer points raised on my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com to help give a clearer picture of what I'm trying to do.whilst I know you are not against what I'm trying to do,you do come across as if it's my fault the world is like it is. I'm only a menber of the public who is trying to do his bit to help others,who just happen to be poor,and not living in the UK. Plus I'm trying to get more people involved in re-using plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets to help reduce them going into lanfill sites,what's the harm in that. Plus the fact I have had over 9,ooo hit now on my website,and e-mails from all over the world from people who think I 've got good ideas,and they are trying them out too. I know my system works,it's up to others to prove me wrong. John JRP.
too.