What have you got planted?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

What have you got planted?

This year we have really gone for it and got the whole allotment cultivated.

We have planted - Garlic, onions, second early and main crop potatoes, 3 types of radishes (french breakfast, normal ones and white icicle), 3 or 4 types of carrots including purple ones, 3 types of beetroot, broccoli, Jerusalem artichoke, lettuces, rocket, spinach and other salad leaves, tomatoes, parsnips, 2 types of sweetcorn, broad beans, runner beans, french beans, dwarf beans, courgettes, pumpkins, swedes, sunflowers, raspberries, strawberries, red currants - then there is the herb and wild flower patch with loads of stuff growing and the pond plants to go in. I think that is it.

Still got a couple of areas left to plant in when last years broccoli and beat spinach comes out.

So what have you got in this year?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bloody hell Andy, you are doing pretty well there!

We currently have carrots still cropping, beans starting to crop, but depends on how the weather goes, plus cabbage, caulies, broccoli, some tomatoes still holding on, chokos, bok choi, mallow, water chestnuts, various lettuces, snow peas and one lone silver beet.

Using the excel spreadsheet to space my plantings has worked really well, we wouldn't usually have a lot in at this time of year but at the moment are still eating well out of the garden.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

Bit like Nev - I have carrots growing (I have a year round variety which is great), rocket, cauliflower, cabbage. I removed the last lf the tomatoes and silver beet last week. I also have onions and leeks doing well. Other than that I am clearing out and manuring in the veggie beds for a little bit of a winter break.

Oh, and I am still getting a few autumn strawberries and raspberries. :)

If you want to be happy for a day, buy a car. If you want to be happy for a weekend, get married. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, be a gardener.

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well this is my first year growing veg properly and its in a new garden.

I will try and remember everything as ive really got quite carried away :lol:

rocket,sprouts,cabbage,purple broccoli,cauliflower,mixed lettuce,carrots,courget, 2 types of sweet corn,runner beans,3 types of tomatoes, bell peppers,peas,cucumber,garlic,dutch onions,shallots,spring onions,leeks,parsnips,commercial strawberries,wild strawberries,black currents,red currents,rasberries,chives,parsley,mint,corriander,main crop spuds,mongetou peas,raddish,betroot

I think that it but i may have missed one or two things out it all gets so addictive

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

oh i forgot the trees

2 apple
1 cherry
1 pear
1 plum

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have a deep paranioa about late frosts :oops: so in my allotment I have growing
various types of onion and shallots
broadbeans
strawberries
sweetpeas
carrots (with nigella)
assorted potatoes
kohl rabi
weird 'oca' tubers from realseeds
and perrenal fruits like rasps and goosegogs

but at home in pots and trays ready to be planted out I have
assorted brassicas (50 or so of varying sizes)
5 plants each of six types of tomato
melons
cucumbers
chillis (lots)
sweet peppers(20 plants)
squashes several winter and several summer varieties
purple and green tomatilloes
physalis
purple and green globe artichokes (from seed)
leeks
aubergines (they're staying at home though)
assorted salady things!
assorted herbs
squillions of sunflowers
runner beans
sweetcorn
beetroot

erm... I think that's it :?

The Chili Monster
A selfsufficientish Regular

Chillies (3 types of habeneros, jalepenos, cayennes, dwarf & tepins)
Garlic
Onion

Basil
Coriander (from the seed of the coriander I grew last year)
Mint
Chives
Rosemary

So far the wind & the rain has destroyed:

Broad beans
dwarf beans
soy beans

Meanwhile slugs & snails feasted on:

lettuce
spinach
sunflowers (again!!!)

"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

red

we moved this year and only dug the beds out of lawn or field since January - not sure what will do well and what will not..so trying lots of things..

tomatoes (plum and cherry) , aubergine, cucumber, chilis (jalapeno) basil and coriander, and lettuce and loofah(!) in the gh

outside: garlic, leeks, beetroot, radish (sparkler and french breakfast), sweetcorn, runner beans, peas, perpetual spinach, red spring onion, white spring onion, carrots, parsnips, caulis, red cabbage, calabrese, potatoes (earlies and maincrop) and we inherited a patch of J.artichokes.

we also inherited apple and pear trees,
and planted more apple, plum and quince, and blackcurrent, and rhubarb.
herbs, chamomile, mint, chives, garlic chives, rosemary, oregano and sage.

and in pots waiting to be planted out: courgettes, squash, gherkin, celeriac, cabbage, vegetable spagetti, pumpkin, french beans, borlotti beans, another type of sweetcorn.

I'm sur I wil lhave alot of failures (the calabrese are being demolished by slugs as we speak) but have to try to get *something* to work
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cornelian wrote:Bit like Nev - I have carrots growing (I have a year round variety which is great), rocket, cauliflower, cabbage. I removed the last lf the tomatoes and silver beet last week. I also have onions and leeks doing well. Other than that I am clearing out and manuring in the veggie beds for a little bit of a winter break.

Oh, and I am still getting a few autumn strawberries and raspberries. :)
Hey Cornelian!

What variety of onions are they and when do you plant them to get a crop now? All I have are seedlings at the moment, I plant them in boxes in april, plant 'em out in September and harvest them in December(ish). A second crop a year would be good!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

possum

It is heading into winter here, so there isn't that much in the veggie garden itself
Jus Asparagus, Rhubarb, some leeks, silverbeet and some Jerusalem artichokes.
However the trees we have are
Olives
Assorted fruit trees (previous owner planted them and they are too small for fruit just yet, so I don't know what type they are)
Walnut tree (new in this year)
several current bushes (new in this year)
Satsuma
Lemon
Lime
Fig
Fejoa
Cherry
Apple
and prickly pears

But I already have a box bulging with seeds just waiting for the spring.

Millymollymandy

Oh you lot must be really busy bees! I have much less going on this year as I'm not growing anything that gets blight or flea beetle, and various things I've sown have refused to germinate!

What I do have new this year is two new blackcurrant bushes (that have a few fruit on already) and a blueberry, which has about 10 berries. :cheers: Wasn't expecting anything from them in the first year so I am happy.

I am really well set up with fruit bushes and trees and the strawbs (Gariguette) are already producing well. :flower:

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

we've just finished our broadbeans. thank goodness, been eating them in every meal for weeks...
getting about 2 kilos of strawberries per day - going to get fed up with them soon. and asparagus every day.
lettuces, watercress, lots of herbs, chard, beetrrots, spinach all being picked now.
in the beds, practically everything: beans, spuds, peppers, courgettes, pumpkins, melons, beetroot, sweetcorn, onions, leeks, cucumbers, tomatoes, butternut squash, peppers, artichokes, etc etc.
and i found some weird little tubers in a supermarket that were sprouting. dont know what they are, but sure they will add something to our diet (or the horses'!).
all doing very nicely, its been a cool wet spring, which has really helped this year, although my torn knee ligament has limited what i can do myself (we have volunteers from WWOOF here almost always).

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

catalyst wrote:we've just finished our broadbeans. thank goodness, been eating them in every meal for weeks...
So you don't have any problems with Favism then......... :wink:

Nev

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose-6- ... deficiency

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

well, thats one ism i dont have problems with :)

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Went in for some Asian Greens and today sowed seeds of - Mizuna, mibuna, tatsoi, choi sum, mustard greens NZ spinach and Shanghai Paak Tsoi. (all except the NZ spinach of course!)

Nev