Covering a privet hedge

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Sue
Tom Good
Tom Good

Covering a privet hedge

I hate privet but can't get rid of the hedge that edges my grass. I have noticed that the little slope of grass into it would be ideal rhubarb and veg plot - slowly stealing the lawn! :cheers:
BUT
Can I grow peas and beans over privet, or would it be impossible to pick the things afterwards?
Should I just grow flowers over (e.g. honeysuckle?)
How about staking canes in and "resting" them against the hedge (its not too high) so the air will circulate under the canes (sort of 45 % angle if that makes sense?)
Any ideas much appreciated - its very sheltered and quite warm, but dry soil as the privet takes ALL the goodness - hence the next Q - how about feeding?
Also (bored yet?) :? will it kill the privet and result in me having trouble next winter as it dies? and falls over?
Any hints etc as ever much appreciated
:lol:
Life is too short - treasure every moment x
Plant it - grow it - eat it - love it x

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am pretty sure you can grow peas in very crappy soil, but they do need alot of watering. Also I think a privet hedge would make a great climbing frame for them, I have never had to feed peas even in the worst clay soil. I don't think it could kill the hedge, even if you wanted too.

HTH

Ann

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

We grew beans over our gateway last year, next to the monster privet hedge, the ones which wound their way in got lost in there and never produced any beans. This year we are planning on growing Jerusalem artichokes in front of it as apparently they are very tollerant (and tall so will hide the hedge, it's not our hedge so we don't have the option of hacking it down).