How to include an image in your message

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

How to include an image in your message

Several people have asked how they can include an image in their posts to this forum - after a few attempts myself, I've discovered this is how:

In order for an image (eg. digital photo) to appear in your message, you first need to upload the image to a site that can host it, and then you link to it in your message. If you do it right, the image will appear within the text of your post.

There are lots of ways that you can upload your image to a suitable site; if you have your own webspace, you can use this to host the image, or your ISP may provide a photo album service. Alternatively, there are several free hosting sites, for example www.photobucket.com. Follow the instructions on the site to upload your images. Once you have done this, you should make a note of the specific URLs of the images you want to include in your message. A site like photobucket will offer you this in various forms that are suitable for different types of forum; for Self Sufficient-ish, you need the URL that is enclosed in [IMG]...[/IMG] tags (the capitals don't matter, it could be [img]...[/img], but the square brackets are important). For ease, copy this one to your clipboard.

Now go to the message you are writing. At the point you want to insert the image, do one of the following:

1) Paste the text that you have just copied to your clipboard

or

2) Type [IMG] followed immediately by the URL of your image, beginning with http://, immediately followed by [/IMG]

or

3) Type in the URL of the image, then 'select' it (left click and drag over it), and then click on the 'Img' button above the message box.

Whichever way you choose, when you have done it, you should have a message that looks a bit like this:

Dear Andy,

I thouht you would be interested to see a picture of Nev cutting the grass. Here he is:

[IMG]http://www.selfsufficientish.com/images/nevmow.jpg[/IMG]

and again, here:

[IMG]http://www.selfsufficientish.com/images/nevmow2.jpg[/IMG]

Isn't he doing a good job?

I have had to disable the code in this message so that you can see what it looks like as text - otherwise you would see the pictures instead. The URLs that I used between the tags are from the SS-ish site; your images will have different addresses to these. In the next post you can see what that message should look like without the disabled code.

Please note, that for reasons I don't understand, not all image hosting sites seem to work with this forum. For example, my experiments with www.tinypic.com were a failure here, and neither did they work when images on my website were linked via a redirecting service. If the worst comes to the worst, and you can't make your image host co-operate with this forum, then you can always simply include the URL of the picture, without tags, and readers will be able to click on it to see the picture.

Make sure the size of the image that you are posting is in keeping with the message - don't post an image that takes over the screen. A refinement that some image hosts offer is to provide a URL that gives you a clickable thumbnail image. This is a small version of the picture, which, when clicked on, will lead to a full sized version. Consult your image host to see if this is possible.

Finally, make good use of the 'Practice and Deleted' section, where you can experiment and delete anything you submit, and don't forget that before you submit a message you can preview it first, to make sure it is OK, and make any alterations that may be needed.
Last edited by Muddypause on Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muddypause

Dear Andy,

I thouht you would be interested to see a picture of Nev cutting the grass. Here he is:

and again, here:

Isn't he doing a good job?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hoorah for muddypause (and nevs mowing). Thank you for that.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Doe this make me look fat?
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wombat wrote:Does this make me look fat?
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're supposed to say" no, your fat arse makes you fat"

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol: There was a character on a sketch show (called the fast show) here a while back called paranoid woman. She always asks "does my bum look big in this" Its one of those catch phrases that has entered everyday speech. Always think of her whenever someone asks does this make me look fat :wink:

Don't know why I quoted you without saying anything back there BTW.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No worries mate

Millymollymandy

Blimey, is that a push mower? No wonder you look so slim! :lol:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you M3!

You're now promoted to one of my bestest friends! :mrgreen:

Nev

Millymollymandy

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Shirley

Muddy - would you mind if I copied your instructions and use them on the NEEPS! forum please - I'll give full credit to you and Ish of course :mrgreen:

M3 - Yeah - he does look slim doesn't he!! :flower:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Muddypause

Nae problem here, Shirlz, but remember that the example pictures I used (Nev mowing the grass) are from the main SS-ish site, so Andy may want to know about it. Maybe Nev, too.

Just had a look at the NEEPS site - inspired idea to set that up. Now all you environmentally friendly North Easteners can dominate two forums.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Shirley

Muddypause wrote:Nae problem here, Shirlz, but remember that the example pictures I used (Nev mowing the grass) are from the main SS-ish site, so Andy may want to know about it. Maybe Nev, too.

Just had a look at the NEEPS site - inspired idea to set that up. Now all you environmentally friendly North Easteners can dominate two forums.
Was going to change the pics... although happy to keep them if Nev and Andy are happy too :flower:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Martin

I reckon Nev has the body of a God.................Buddha! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!