101 uses for plastic milk bottle tops

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

101 uses for plastic milk bottle tops

1. Put on a hat on bits of string to keep the flies off. Cheers boots :wink:
2. Collect and find a charity that will take them
3. for putting ontop of your milk :shock:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

4. give them to your childs nursery/school to use in crafts... they make fab ponds.. or eyes/noses/bellybuttons for monsters etc etc...
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

5. Persuade the milk companies to recycle them as milk bottle lids.
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong

Shirley

colhut wrote:5. Persuade the milk companies to recycle them as milk bottle lids.
Good idea!!!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Milims

Exactly!! It strikes me as jolly stupid to make the plastic milk carton recylable and not the top - talk about left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

elfcurry
Tom Good
Tom Good

Some are recyclable. I've just checked my lodger's T***o one and it has a triangle with a 2 in it, as does my Coop one. My council recycling scheme doesn't accept them so it makes no difference here.

I think supermarkets (probably not small private shops) should be required to have containers for returned plastic bottle tops and other plastic packaging which is not accepted by their local council. They would squirm a bit and put pressure on the council to broaden their recycling scheme and might even pay the council to do accept more.
Last edited by elfcurry on Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

shiney

6. Make some Pat Butcher type earings for a mothers day present. Only your mother would wear them with pride.(and a matching necklace, don't forget!)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Boots

7. Put them under tent poles or chair legs to stop them sinking into the ground, or scratching floors.

8. Put a hole in them and position them on the top of tomato stakes to stop you poking your eye out when you bend down

9. Hang them from fruit trees like trendy X-mas ornaments to deter birds

10. Use them as food dishes for little critters, like birds, mice or hermit crabs

11. STick them to a tray/pallette and use them for paint pots so your colours only mix when you want them to.

12. Use them to sort and dry (or soak) seeds in. (Better still have a few ready with seeds when kids visit, so you can give them a 'little job' that gives them something to do while the adults are talking.

13. If you plan on adding them to landfill, add them to your own garden. Position them quite deeply cup side up - anything that catches and holds water in a garden is good. Aquifers of any size are important.

14. Use them to mix borax and sugar in and put at the back of cupboards to kill cockroaches. Keep Clear of Children though.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

15. make holes in them, thread a bit of stick through them (like a kebab stick thingy) with discs of something (reused polystyreme chips possibly) in between.

Give to a small child to shake like one of those shakey instruments (i'm thinking jingle bells, but it doesn't exactly sound like bells - more clackety things)

I hope that makes sense!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

16. Attach a magnet to the back. Stick a picture inside. Stick to fridge

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

put a few in the bottom of plant pots before filling with compost/soil to help with drainage

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

18 - To paraphrase 'Flander and Swan' why not nail them upside down to the floor. That way whenever you walk over the floor you'll get the senstation of walking on upside down little plastic bottle tops (okay they were going on about the metal ones.

19 - Use them as wheels for homemade toys for children

20 - Make very small maracas out of them with a bit of glue and fabric.