Tomatillo yuck!

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tomatillo yuck!

HI all! has anyone out there grown tomatillo's?

I have three sprawling plants with some fruit that are bursting out of their husks! The problem is they taste horrid!!! bitter and sour which tells me they are not ready to eat! :? They are still quite hard!

I planted them at the end of my aubergine row and I suspect they are getting too much water!

Three questions!

What are they supposed to taste like?

Whats the texture like?

Whats the problem!

Chickpea
A selfsufficientish Regular

"The fruits average about 1 -2" wide and have a papery outer skin. The tomatillo is actually used when it is still green. If you see the photo below one of the tomatillos is just turning a light yellow and indicates that is ripe and past its prime for most uses. Tomatillos have a very tart flavor, not at all like a tomato." from Gourmet Sleuth http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/tomatillos.htm

So it sounds like your tomatillos are fine - they're supposed to taste like that. It says you usually eat them cooked and has a recipe for salsa. So you won't be slicing them into your salads I guess. Google for tomatillo recipes, and also "green tomato" recipes. Apparently when you see a recipe for "green tomato chutney" (or "fried green tomatoes") it means tomatillos, not tomatoes that haven't turned red yet. I didn't know that.

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Never ehard that about the tomatillos/green tomato thing. Green tomato pickles and chutneys have been made here for much longer than tomatillos have beena vailable, I suspect. Was it an American site? Interesting, though, but I disagree 8) Love green toamtoes, very versatile.

I've grown tomatillos for years now, but not this year for some reason. I like the violet ones as well as the green ones. When ripe, they should be the same softness as a tomato, just a bit of give when pressed ightly. They shouldn't be hard. When ripe, the husks will split open to reveal the fruit inside. They need a lot of warmth to get the best out of them. The plants can get a bit wild, but just nip out the tops to keep them under control,a nd keep them tied in. I think they taste like a sharp tomato, and I love them.
they make great salsa, also chutney.

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks soooo much for your replies. I'm looking forward to trying the recipies! Great site Chickpes Thanks!

Luath I still think there is something wrong! Some fruits have outgrown their husks and are still very hard like peppers, no where near the tomato stage yet!! and there's no problem with the heat I'm in Spain!! It's my first year growing them and I'm being too fussy!! I see what you mean about keeping them in control! wild plants!!!

Millymollymandy

Is a Tomatillo what is also known as a Tree Tomato?

elfcurry
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've grown some of these but was unsure of whether they might be cape gooseberries which also grow in a husk and I got the plants mixed up.

I think Chickpea's link confirms these are tomatillos though.

Yesterday when a previously damaged 'branch' came off while I was tying it up and I discovered the husks are more full and ripe than I thought.

I tried a fruit and it wasn't horrible though it was a bit bitter and still quite green. Not yuck though. Maybe it'll take a bit longer to ripen.

Millymollymandy

Millymollymandy wrote:Is a Tomatillo what is also known as a Tree Tomato?
I should have looked at that link before asking the above question. No it isn't a tree tomato (didn't think they'd grow in northern climes)!

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tree tomatoes are called tamarillo I think, I've got 2 seeds that I'm gonna try in spring! Tamatillo's are good for making chutney.
PS I still don't like tomitillo's tried a few recipies not for me!!!! Not growing them again! YUCK

dibnah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i grow tomatillos every year i love them I use them to make chutney, salsa etc. The ones I grow are the purple type they do stay green for quite a while though, they will keep cropping for a long while if you can keep the frost off although last year I pulled them up still full of fruit because I had too many.

2steps

I bought some tomatillo seeds and forgot to plant them so didn't get to try them. same for my cape gooseberries :oops: never eaten tomatillos, not so sure now :? though I do like sour flavors. mind you we eat salsa so they won't get wasted

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

dibnah please give me a top recipie, I dont like disliking veg!