Self Sufficient 2021

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Self Sufficient 2021

It's my belief that this is going to be essential in 2021 with the way that the UK seems to be heading. Let's ignore the politics and just say that things are going to be hard considering the prospect of months of chaos to come.

So best to make a plan for the year and get started a few weeks in advance perhaps:

1. Hope that we will all be able to keep a roof over our heads and even a job if required
2. Full store cupboards as far as accommodation will allow with regards to dry staples so that we can at least eat.
3. Enough clothes to last for some months or even years.
4. An inventory of things to do. Trouble is that I did most of them last year and not all are repetitive items.
5. Hope that the work we did last year stands us in good stead.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Self Sufficient 2021

I agree, next year is going to be interesting! (The mother of all understatements).

I have to admit to struggling to keep politics out of it but I'll try. :lol:

One thing I found this year is the price of secondhand clothes, on Ebay, rose dramatically. I'm guessing there were a few reasons - people losing fairly high income jobs and so looking to sell to recoup some money from their, no longer needed, designer clothes, and failing to grasp the concept of "used" (judging by some of the photos it's no certainty that folk with posh clothes look after them any better than the rest of us). I saw a jumper for over £200 on there the other day - probably some obscure fashion designer but it had been well used! Other folks unable to go to shops thinking they'll be "green" and bidding ridiculous amounts. I can't see it getting much better so the old sewing machine may have to come out. I'm a dab hand at skirts - not sure OH has the legs for one though (or me for that matter) :wink:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Green Aura wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:40 pm I'm a dab hand at skirts - not sure OH has the legs for one though (or me for that matter) :wink:
I used to make comfortable trousers of the elastic waist variety myself... Jeans are rather more difficult. And yes, skirts are much easier, but I haven't worn one in decades and can't see myself ever doing so again!

I have years worth of material sitting about in my house. And a sewing machine for which I can't find the right cable (it's an old German machine, so British stuff won't necessarily fit). Knitting wool for several jumpers and pairs of socks. Roll on retirement (if ever).
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try having a look on Ebay, ina, they'll show you if it's available in Germany. It's amazing what you can find.
Maggie

ina

I suppose so - might do that if and when I get the time. At the moment, far too many more important things... Like tidying up the kitchen, and the rest of the house, and the garden... And anyway, if and when I do get around to tidying up, I might even find the original!
Ina

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I would possibly be a candidate for wearing a skirt (syn, kilt; sarong) around the patch in our summer (+ 36C) As an old hippy, wearing a sarong etc. was not unusual. While the legs may be still OK, the upper body is probably not my best feature these days.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Flo

Why not rejoin the hippy? Makes a change from the steam punk stuff which is a different, younger generation.

Anyway I have written up a new year's budget plan taking account of what is not required after doing a household survey. Surprisingly a tight one. I think a bit more cooking from scratch will help pass the time (make own cakes, biscuits, pastry). That seems to have become less in recent years. Time for return to older ways.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yeah, I'd concur with most of what's here. 2021 likely to be a tight one. My job's OK but Mrs. V's is tenuous and she is moving on to full-time food production if she loses it, which is at least a solid interim plan. Perhaps a holiday in the UK, if a holiday becomes a possibility.

So I'm happy to copy Flo's plan :D Except the work standing me in good stead; I had a fairly rubbish year.
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Flo

Part of the family has just discovered that it is in tier 4 which is the same as a national lock down in all but name. What a difference a day makes.

Luckily the grandson and his lady are pretty self sufficient in a lot of things, can work at home. But they had to put off their wedding last summer. Who knows what the rules will be for Berkshire and the north Scottish coast come May. I've spent the money saved for the four day holiday on self sufficient plans for the home here and was about to start saving again for the next holiday.

Could do with a holiday around a light house near Thurso for a change.

Flo

Now that we are under a national lockdown, it's good to have had a big supermarket delivery on Tuesday that has left the cupboards bulging. May get some strange meals but shan't starve doing a live out of the cupboard challenge. As I'm only just a couple of days after the stitches have been taken out of the repaired knee (done on the 14th day after the operation) I shan't be walking outside fit to go shopping for a bit and certainly not till the weather stops turning the village into a skating rink on a daily basis.

But there are vague reports of lorries going to the ports without the correct paperwork or proof of a negative Covid test within the previous 72 hours, who knows what will happen to incoming supplies. I think that the PM's comment that we will be in for a bumpy ride for a few months will come very true.

ina

It's definitely getting very icy out there - had to go out yesterday for a hygienist's appointment, so did some shopping as well, but otherwise I'd prefer to stay inside! I feel very insecure on ice, despite my grips on the boots. They are extremely difficult to get on as well. Unfortunately I'll be back at work on Monday, and I think it's supposed to stay this cold for a while...
Ina

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

We've even managed a little snow up here. A fairly rare event, thankfully.

The gal's gone, starts her placement next week. We've just discovered we've got Covid in our village, so won't be venturing out for any reason.

Testing times, folks, try and stay safe.
Maggie

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Over the last couple of weeks I've discovered the benefit of not throwing stuff away, despite the plethora of TV reality shows about decluttering.
I have been out and about the property fixing up things for the new growing season, refitting the hydro system, putting shelves in, and yesterday had to replace the ball valve in our toilet cistern, and managed to find everything I needed "in stock". All because I don't throw anything away, and I am famous for building yet another shed to put it all in.
Well during lockdown who has the last laugh now? :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina

The advantage of living somewhere with at least some spare space... Unfortunately I'm in a very small house, and despite having bought a shed early on, everything is just stuffed full with things I want to keep. Result? When I need something that I suspect I have somewhere, I can't find it.
Ina

Flo

Green Aura wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:48 pm The gal's gone, starts her placement next week. We've just discovered we've got Covid in our village, so won't be venturing out for any reason.
Stats up here - so many cases in the nearest four or so miles that this whole village could be laid up with the virus. We're in a real virus hot spot. Not that there's anything to do with the weather being distinctly colder than cold. Even the dog walkers are doing very short walks.