Squash. We have leaves, what now?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

ina wrote:Btw, does anybody know the difference between squash, pumpkins and marrows? I've got squash in various shapes and sizes (well, I'm hoping to have soon :oops: ); I have something that's called a marrow (custard white marrow), but it's just the same shape as some of the squashes (round and a bit knobbly) - and pumpkins aren't really all that different, either! And since there are round courgettes, too, it gets even more confusing.... :?
Hahaha Ina... I've got a huge selection of squash too and have been foolish enough not to label properly when I planted... will just have to id each as it comes along. Some will be easy to id... butternuts should be straight forward enough.. and the blue bananas too... mixed packet of seeds from Andy anyway - will have to take photos and ask for id help 8)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hedgewizard

Isn't squash just a generic term including pumpkins, courgettes, gourds etc?

Shirley

think so!
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it is although there are things like button squash too!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

hedgewizard

After purportedly discovering a hollowed out pumpkin containing microfilms of State Department papers, Nixon had himself photographed studying the films with a magnifying glass although it is impossible to read microfilms with magnifying glasses. Nixon manufactured an image to substantiate a false charge, an art he shall perfect in later years.
Found this "pumpkin papers" mention out there somewhere. What was it you were saying about karma, Digi?

Millymollymandy

My understanding is that 'Squash' is the American word and that 'Pumpkin' is the British word. So as far as I am concerned a Butternut is a pumpkin and not a squash!

Summer squash are I think pumpkins that don't need to be ripened like winter squash/pumpkins.

Courgettes and marrows are - well to me anyway, courgettes and marrows! They don't grow on a vine but a completely different kind of plant.

But then again the melons and cucumbers I'm growing grow on a vine, yet they are neither squash nor pumpkins! :mrgreen:

What it all boils down it is that they are all part of the Curcurbitaceae family - whose name I had to get from Google or I'd never have been able to spell it otherwise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hedgewizard

Brilliant Mandy, I don't need to confuse you... you do it all by yourself! :lol:
squash1 (skwôsh) pronunciation
n.

1. Any of various tendril-bearing plants of the genus Cucurbita, having fleshy edible fruit with a leathery rind and unisexual flowers.
2. The fruit of any of these plants, eaten as a vegetable.

[From alteration of Narragansett askútasquash.]
pump·kin Pronunciation (pmpkn, pm-, png-) n.

a. A coarse trailing vine (Cucurbita pepo) widely cultivated for its fruit.
b. The large pulpy round fruit of this plant, having a thick, orange-yellow rind and numerous seeds.
c. Any of several other vines of the genus Cucurbita, especially C. maxima or C. moschata, bearing large pumpkinlike squashes.
So, it's a US word used generically for Cucurbitae. Pumpkins are a subset of squashes, and it seems to be used descriptively to mean anything that looks like a C. pepo.

Here's my favourite pumpkin site.

Millymollymandy

I'm still no clearer on the subject - isn't this something like the Swedish turnip question? :mrgreen:

Kirstykbart
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I bought a pack of seeds from lidl that are labelled as "Gourd, small fruits mixed" (latin name cucurbita pepo).

At first I was under the impression that they were summer squash (goodness knows why must've been sozzled or summat :drunken: ) but on further thinking I'm wondering if they are now a winter squash type thing that will need to ripen. I've absolutely no idea though!! It does say harvest October time so do you think that sounds about right??

Kirsty

Shirley

Sounds about right to me!!! How are they looking now??
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

hedgewizard

Does it actually say edible? Many gourds are just ornamental!

Cheezy

Squash when do you pick em?

I've got the variety rugosa
(see here:http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/245)

One squash has developed nicely(25cm long), started green then started to turn yellowish, but was soft and "squashy", and had some mould starting to grow, so I picked it hoping it would harden up. But no went worse so I eate it (hmm roasted nice)

I've got an even bigger one nicely growing. The question is do I leave it, or do I pick it green with the hope it'll harden up and go yellow.

One of the idea's for my squash growing was that they last for ages, and I thought I'd have some nice squashes for winter.

Advice anyone?.

P.s I'm growing these in the wigwham as discussed earlier. and it really is working nicely, all the squashes are off the ground hanging down, no straw needed.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

hedgewizard

If these are a storing variety (I haven't read the link) then they're best to stay on the vine for as long as possible, lifted before the first frosts. When you cut them try and leave a bit of "neck" because it helps them keep better.

scotchdiet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 43.0
longitude: 25.0
Facebook Name: Scotchdiet

Re: Twonga

Has anybody ever grown Twonga? That's another blueish squash, smaller, and suitable for growing up on a trellis (according to the catalogue). I've been trying for the past two months to get them to germinate, but they won't![/quote]

I am growing these in Bulgaria - there is no way they are for a trellis - well these aren't anyway --- I have posted pics and stuff on this website if you want to take a look http://www.growveg.info/viewtopic.php?f=4685&t=22818

I, like you, was desperate for information on them, I will post more pics and stuff when they are ready, they are pretty close now, but we have a couple more weeks before the weather turns so I am leaving them out there to do whatever they are going to do

Best regards
Fran

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Squash. We have leaves, what now?

Finally we have some success with squash. We've tried for years to grow butternuts, with very little success but this year we've had some lovely onion squashes. Quick growing (which suits our short season) and quite prolific.

I've left a few, slightly smaller than a tennis ball, on the plant - do you think we'll be able to eat them even though they'll not grow any bigger now? I was thinking of chucking them in a stew unless anyone knows why an immature squash is not suitable to eat.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin