Contacting Retailers/Sick of Plastic

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Contacting Retailers/Sick of Plastic

I was in a supermarket (please excuse the language) the other day, and noticed a brand of porridge. They have multiple lines, and I was curious about their organic oats, so I took a closer look. The packaging around it is not only recyclable paper, but it's also biodegradable. I thought this to be ingenious, but was sad to see they only have two products packaged this way. I thought on it for a while, and decided I would contact them to ask if they were considering or planning to increase this packaging on any of their other products (I'm waiting a response, as I only sent it last night).
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this? Contacting brands and asking them about their packaging. If enough people asked, or better, demanded/boycotted brands to force them to change, think what a positive impact that could be for our planet. I'm looking forward to the sick of plastic day on 21st April here in Ireland. FOE are encouraging people to ditch their unnecessary packaging at the checkout after purchase. I think the volume of stuff being abandoned in the shops will be a disturbing visual phenomenon, as it is so easy to simply overlook this sort of thing, until it's staring you in the face.
I am Anti: Plastic, Palm Oil, Consumerism, Petrol, Diesel, Capitalism.
I am Pro: Nature, Make Do And Mend, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Fairtrade, Organic.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Contacting Retailers/Sick of Plastic

It's easy enough to just not buy things that we consider are packaged with too much plastic... The problem I see is that, especially with fresh produce, the entire production/distribution system has to be changed, otherwise we might end up with masses of waste. Plastic does have advantages: longer shelf life, better "looks" (and unfortunately that counts for many customers), less waste. So in a way I can understand if suppliers are a bit reluctant to just do away with all that nasty plastic. Of course, the best thing to do is always choose the better option, where we can. As usual, of course, the better option is often more expensive and therefore only available to the rich...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

Where I am living atm is very annoying, because we have no recycling facilities for plastic, paper, cardboard or foil. I'd love to stop using my bin, and am planning to change my purchasing habits further to try and accomplish this. They already have zero waste shops in Dublin, and I'm upset that we don't yet have one in Longford.
Don't get me started on the money side of things. It is the route of so many problems in our society. Businesses don't/won't do x, y and z because it's not cost effective/upsets their shareholders etc. I'm sick of hearing how councils don't have the resources for things that people do need, but seem to have plenty of it for other less important or less beneficial ventures.
When they do bring in positive changes, the consumers are the ones who seem to end up footing the bill, not the manufacturers, suppliers, corporations or governments who generally seem to be the ones who create the problems in the first place!
I'll put my soapbox away now.

AmalWarrior
Tom Good
Tom Good

The Queen is tackling plastic, and they are investing in being more efficient.
I know Prince Charles has solar panels at Sandringham. Has had those for a few years now, I think.