Old seeds

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Old seeds

Someone gave me some seeds, some packets were open, that are a year or two out of date. How likely is it that they will still grow?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Old seeds

Depends on what they are and how they have been stored. Carrots and parsnips won't be very viable if they aren't all sown. Brassicas can last for years, I had some that were about 2007 and sowed them last year and they all germinated

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You could do some tests by putting some on some damp kitchen paper indoors and seeing if they sprout.

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Love this idea, can you then pop them into compost and grow them into fully fledged plants or are they then done for, daft question I guess??
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't see why not, if you're careful. But the idea is just ti try a couple to see if they are viable. Even so, older seeds will have a lower germination rate so I would sow more than I needed. It's hard to have to chuck out seedlings though. I have just over-sown the local pink beefsteak tomatoes as the seed is out of date, got far too many and had to ditch them. I know if I grew them on I would want to keep them. As it is I have kept ten, far too many for a single family as there are five other varieties going in! :lol:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chitting is a good way of ensuring you get germinated seed. I often chit parsnip and carrots until they are about an inch long and then make up a jelly of potato flour and water, stir in the chitted seeds and then put into a plastic bag, snip a small bit off the corner and then 'ice' into your pre-prepared drills and cover over as normal. You can sow any chitted seed into the top of a pot and cover lightly with sieved compost and they will be fine