Slow cooking

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Slow cooking

.... taken to extreme. :iconbiggrin:

I've just made another batch of baked beans, ready to be bottled today, and have been tweaking the recipe a bit. This got me thinking about just how different we are to "normal" people.
If I were to write the recipe truthfully it would have to start; Early August, save seed from climbing French beans. September save seed from your chosen variety of tomatoes, and end; Cooking time 6 hours, Preparation time 8,700 hours.

A bit different that picking a tin of Heinz off a supermarket shelf. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Slow cooking

And undoubtedly far tastier. :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

You have to start much earlier than August, unless the bean fairy sowed those beans in your garden for you. (Did she? Could you introduce me to her?)
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

No fairy, I sold a cow for 3 beans ......

The problem with that is how far back do you go, back to when I first bought the packet of seeds from a catalogue ?
I suppose really the seed saving is not necessary for the recipe, so I should (could) have written, "Early January, sow tomato seed", that would then reduce the processing time to a mere 5,760 hours. :lol:
Tony

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recipe please.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

ojay54 wrote:Recipe please.
The lengthy version or shall I assume that you can work out the sowing, tending and harvesting yourself ? :lol:
Tony

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

BAKED BEANS

400g dried Haricot beans
1 litre of Tomato purée (passata)
2 heaped tsp Cornflour
2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Worcester sauce
1 tsp Sweet Paprika
1 tsp Salt

Soak beans overnight, then bring to boil, wallop for 5 minutes and then simmer till just cooked

Add rest of ingredients to the tomato and bring to the boil stirring until thickened a bit, then dump the whole lot, beans and tom sauce into a slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours or more (overnight is good) This makes a fairly stodgy mixture, feel free to adjust the amount of sauce if you want runnier beans.
Makes 7 x 500ml Kilner jars full plus a goodly taster if you're canning, or freeze in convenient servings

These last 2 batches I found I had run out of ordinary Worcester sauce so I substituted Worcester tomato sauce and I think it's a slight improvement, so may well keep that in the recipe.

I've now canned 18 half litres plus 3 x 250 ml (for beans on toast), so ought to have enough till next August. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

thanks Tony,I've printed that,I'll give it ago when the kids are back at school.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I forgot to add 1 tsp salt OJ, I've edited the recipe above but you have already printed off.
Tony

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Oooh I've never thought of homemaking baked beans. Might give that a go! I'll have to cheat and buy my own beans though as I haven't grown any this year. And my tomatoes have apparently frozen in time at the moment after an accidental drought a week ago...

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Just watch out you don't end up paying far more in energy for the very long cooking time than you'll ever make up for in saving on ingredients, or flavour... I tried it once, but decided it wasn't worth it.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are probably right Ina, especially as you can buy tins of beans for next to nothing.
But, at least I know EXACTLY what is in my beans, and as a diabetic I know there is no sugar or artificial sweeteners in my beans.
I suppose you could also argue that it's not really financially viable to grow your own fruit and vegetables,if you take account of all the expenses involved versus cheap supermarket produce.
It is nice though to have a larder shelf full of baked beans that are organic, non-GMO and grown by my own fair(ish) hand :iconbiggrin:
Tony

ina

You are right - it's mostly the sugar in tinned baked beans that puts me off buying them... But then I'm not that great a fan anyway. I do sometimes cook a few portions for more or less immediate consumption. But I have to buy all the ingredients, too. Oh yes - and I hate it when folk say that nobody needs to go hungry because they just need to get their bums of their seats and they can "grow all their fruit and veg for free" - oh no, they can't! Look at the rent for tiny allotments, and they usually are somewhere only accessible by car, plus buying at least some tools and seeds etc... I'm always amazed how much I spend every year, although I get a lot for free (muck etc), and I swap seeds and seedlings etc.

(Better stop ranting. :? )
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Odsox wrote:No fairy, I sold a cow for 3 beans ......
l:
You were done. Young Jack got 5 beans for a cow
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Dr.Syn wrote:
Odsox wrote:No fairy, I sold a cow for 3 beans ......
l:
You were done. Young Jack got 5 beans for a cow
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.