Another use for courgettes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Another use for courgettes

Note usage of words 'right now'. :iconbiggrin: I was still stuffed after yesterday's BBQ where we started with Breton moules and baguette, went on to BBQ including good old British bangers :lol: and all sorts of other stuff, went for a walk then stuffed our faces with my choc cake, someone else's wonderful apple and blackberry pie and a good old French flan, one of my most favourite desserts - can't think why as there can be absolutely NOTHING remotely healthy in that, but I just like it. :lol: So don't worry I'll be ready to eat cake again by this evening. :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

eccentricemma
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

All these wonderful courgette recipes!!

Our current favourite is courgette fritters: dead easy, you just grate a courgette into a bowl, sprinkle it with salt to draw out the liquid and leave it fro 20 mins. Then beat in enough flour to make a batter then deep fry them. (great if you can deep fry in olive oil as it gives a great flavour but not essential). You can add loads of different ingredients to make them different, we like to add garlic or bouillon powder. Good with tomato salad or sweet chilli sauce!

Our friends had a courgette day where everyone came and brought their favourite courgette recipe for everyone to try. They had also collected lots of recipes and gave them out on sheets to people. Then we had a vote and the winner won..............a courgette, and a book of courgette recipes!! A really good fun day. Some people brought really interesting stuff including: courgette focaccia, courgette chocolates, courgette quiche, courgette chocolate cake and deep fried courgette flowers.

Rosendula

Last year I made courgette and mozzerella soup. There was loads of it, so I put a lot in tubs in the freezer. It was still there this year when I started harvesting the new crop, so I thought I should get rid of the freezer stuff. I had a bit of the soup for lunch one day, thinking I'd have the rest the next day, but then I didn't fancy it. So I mixed a load of self-raising flour with it until it was dough-like and baked it in the oven. Perfect courgette and mozzerella bread. So now I'm wondering what other soup I can turn into bread -- tomato? vegetable? oxtail perhaps :lol:
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

Soup bread!!! All in one lunch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to give a thumbs up to the Savoury Courgette Cake posted on the previous page as it is DELISH! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Now wondering what other veg I could use in the same recipe........ I'm sure leeks would work for winter, not sure if I'd like grated carrot or beetroot as probably too sweet, but probably a mix of things could work. :flower:

Touchwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

eccentricemma wrote: Our current favourite is courgette fritters: dead easy, you just grate a courgette into a bowl, sprinkle it with salt to draw out the liquid and leave it fro 20 mins. Then beat in enough flour to make a batter then deep fry them. (great if you can deep fry in olive oil as it gives a great flavour but not essential). You can add loads of different ingredients to make them different, we like to add garlic or bouillon powder. Good with tomato salad or sweet chilli sauce!
We add feta, a hand full of mint and some Garam Masala to our's (got the idea from the Hairy Bikers). They freeze really well and are great with curries.

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Millymollymandy wrote:Soup bread!!! All in one lunch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to give a thumbs up to the Savoury Courgette Cake posted on the previous page as it is DELISH! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Now wondering what other veg I could use in the same recipe........ I'm sure leeks would work for winter, not sure if I'd like grated carrot or beetroot as probably too sweet, but probably a mix of things could work. :flower:
I am pleased you liked it. I agree that many other vegs would probably work well in this recipe... I have not thought of trying some myself yet, but the leeks sound like a very good idea. :icon_smile:

Millymollymandy

I'm thinking maybe pumpkin and leek. :iconbiggrin:

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I should try the pumpkin as it is not my favourite vegetable... But maybe I will also try the leeks as they are one of favourite veg ! I am sure there are other veg that would work with this. I am tempted to try some sorrel, but maybe I would have to put less as it is quite bitter. It is a all new lot of recipes that could come out of the one dish! Yum! :iconbiggrin:

Millymollymandy

Some of us here are fans of potimarrons as they are less sweet, they also roast a treat! Not sure about grating them though?!

The cake was brilliant cold too, and would make a really good picnic dish. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

battybird

Cloud wrote:This is the way OH makes hers...

175g dark chocolate (cheap value brand is good)
250g finely grated courgettes (skins and all)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g castor sugar
175ml sunflower/veg oil
2 medium eggs

Grate the courgette into a bowl with the dry ingredients. Beat together the oil and the eggs and then stir in to the mixture. Finally melt the chocolate and stir this in.

Pour mixture into greased loaf tin and bake for 50 to 60 mins at 180C. Leave to cool. Eat.
Just about to try this and realised there is no flour in it....quick, anyone will this be right? Dont mind wasting the courgette but not chocolate!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It certainly sounds more like a chocolate, courgette omelette, BB. Hope it went well. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

battybird

Chickened out and made courgette bread and pakoras instead... Will search for a better choc cake recipe that one did not sound right! :shock: :shock:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've just "adjusted" a recipe for veggie burgers which proved rather splendid - good enough to share, I think.

1 courgette and 1 carrot, grated
1/2 a small head of broccoli and 1 large portabella mushroom - processed to tiny pieces
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup peanut flour
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp 5 spice powder
2 eggs, or flax seed "eggs"
salt and pepper

Gently fry the garlic, in the coconut oil, until soft, then add the broccoli and mushroom and cook until soft. Cool a little and then add it to all the other ingredients. Form into burgers (they're quite sticky at this stage). You can either fry or bake them - I baked them in a 200C oven on an oiled baking sheet.

I served them with pak choy, bean sprouts and peanuts stir fried with ginger, garlic, spring onions and chilli in soy sauce and sesame oil.
Fabulous. :iconbiggrin:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin