Hello from Berlin!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello from Berlin!

Hello, I'm Erika, a Scottish lassie living in Berlin. I am animal and nature mad, and to be honest I'm a total country girl stuck in the city. Thankfully Berlin is quite a green city and I even have a balcony to satisfy my balcony needs.

Anyway I came across this forum as I have been looking to start a hydroponics system in my flat, with an eye to eventually doing a small Aquaponics as practice for my future garden haha. To begin with I am going to do a Lettuce Raft system as it seems like a good beginners system, and I'll dabble around with other hydroponics system once I've gotten set up with that one.

I'm also really into trying to live a more co friendly life (and making my poor man join in), and am going to do a Buy Nothing New year next year. I've virtually done that this year, excusing a few necessary purchases (like my puppy, and a big freezer to store her raw food in) and I am looking forward to doing a full year of it. I am also gonna give the bin diet thing a go if I can get my long suffering man on board. A packaging free supermarket just opened up very near our flat so it might work out a lot easier than we think haha!

Anyway this forum looks really informative and friendly so I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys and learning from you all!

Oh, and I'm currently growing some sort of mushroom in a supermarket bought growing kit in the bathroom and four Ox horn pepper plants, about 8 tomato plants (about cherry tomato sized), two basil plants, thyme, a failure of a lettuce, a shop bought olive tree which isn't doing anything and some random orange flowers which have been very prolific. I am also bringing up a lovely puppy and two very dictator-like cats! :)

Erika

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Berlin!

Hi Erika and welcome to Ish :wave: :wave:

I think you might like it here. I'm not totally sure, but I think you're our first from Berlin (although not our first from Germany). We do have a very nice German lady now living in Scotland, so I suppose that's a fair swap.

Enjoy the site - that's what it's for.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi Erika and welcome to Ish. :wave:

Have a look round, ask questions, have fun.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Hi Erika :wave:

It sounds like you've got lots of fun projects on the go. I'm sure your cats help with all of them!

Welcome to 'ish :icon_smile:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Welcome fellow newby,

Looks like you've got a lot of projects lined up. You'll find a lot of fun people to share your thoughts with here.

Have fun.
Roos
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ich bin ein Isher
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thank you (/ danke) for all the replies! Seems like a lovely forum :)

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Oh, is there an app for this forum by the way? Like Tapatalk or Proboards, for using on an iPad? I keep getting signed out of the site on safari haha.

ina

Smilesbetter wrote:Hello, I'm Erika, a Scottish lassie living in Berlin.
Hi Erika, I'm a German lassie living in Scotland... :sunny:

Last flat I had in Germany (way back, last millenium!), I had two balconies, and managed to have something edible off them every day for at least half the year. I now have a small garden (council house), but I do get quite a lot of my veg and fruit from it, too - although I could really do with more sun for my one and only tomato plant!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

ina wrote:
Smilesbetter wrote:Hello, I'm Erika, a Scottish lassie living in Berlin.
Hi Erika, I'm a German lassie living in Scotland... :sunny:

Last flat I had in Germany (way back, last millenium!), I had two balconies, and managed to have something edible off them every day for at least half the year. I now have a small garden (council house), but I do get quite a lot of my veg and fruit from it, too - although I could really do with more sun for my one and only tomato plant!
Hello! You'll be glad to hear then that the sun has disappeared from Germany too haha, so you aren't missing out on much. it was incredibly sunny here up until last week or so though and my main problem with my balcony garden was keeping everything well enough watered haha. Hopefully I can set up a type of hydroponics on the balcony for next year, everyone thinks I'm crazy if they happen to stay at my flat while I'm away: ''Feed the cats twice a day DO NOT FORGET TO FEED THE PLANTS!!!!!" hahaha. The cats will remind people that they need fed, so I'm more worried about the plants :P

I suppose in Scotland you won't have that problem any more haha!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

doofaloofa

Smilesbetter wrote: Hello! You'll be glad to hear then that the sun has disappeared from Germany too haha, so you aren't missing out on much. it was incredibly sunny here up until last week or so though and my main problem with my balcony garden was keeping everything well enough watered haha. Hopefully I can set up a type of hydroponics on the balcony for next year, everyone thinks I'm crazy if they happen to stay at my flat while I'm away: ''Feed the cats twice a day DO NOT FORGET TO FEED THE PLANTS!!!!!" hahaha. The cats will remind people that they need fed, so I'm more worried about the plants :P

train the cats to water the veg

Obviously
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

doofaloofa wrote:
Smilesbetter wrote: Hello! You'll be glad to hear then that the sun has disappeared from Germany too haha, so you aren't missing out on much. it was incredibly sunny here up until last week or so though and my main problem with my balcony garden was keeping everything well enough watered haha. Hopefully I can set up a type of hydroponics on the balcony for next year, everyone thinks I'm crazy if they happen to stay at my flat while I'm away: ''Feed the cats twice a day DO NOT FORGET TO FEED THE PLANTS!!!!!" hahaha. The cats will remind people that they need fed, so I'm more worried about the plants :P

train the cats to water the veg

Obviously

Haha! I think I'd have more luck training the plants to feed the cats, water themselves and wash the dishes. I've managed to train the cars to sit, I think that's the best I'm gonna get out of these two sadly.

Smilesbetter
Tom Good
Tom Good

Haha, and by cars I of course mean cats...