to transplant or not to transplant

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
maisieandgrace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

to transplant or not to transplant

I have very limited veg space, a 6 by 3 raised beds, and various other Containers and fruit treed, so space is at a premium,. I cover the bed with a crop cage to keep the dogs off it.I recently sowed my spinach and carrots in neat and tidy rows.Then I forgot to put the cage back and one of the dogs walked all over it.they have now germinated in a totally random fashion., with some overcrowded and some huge gaps. Should I transplant, or just thin and resow in the biggest gaps? :dontknow:

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: to transplant or not to transplant

I would do the latter. I don't bother thinning carrots until they are big enough to go with peas, and generally they will push each other out of the way and you harvest from the middle to give the others room to grow. If you transplant you risk deformed roots and carrot fly attack. I try to only handle them at night and push soil around any exposed root tops.

With spinach, you could thin and transplant, but I wouldn't bother. :icon_smile:

maisieandgrace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: to transplant or not to transplant

Thanks Tosca :)