Newbie from Cambs

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Newbie from Cambs

Hi everyone,

I live in Cambs and I've just put my name down on the allotment waiting list after I realised that I really can't dig up any more of my lawn to make space for veg :mrgreen: We are planning to emigrate to Canada in a few years where I hope we will be able to be a lot more self sufficienter, but for now we can't have any chickens or ducks because of local regulations so we'll just have to stick to growing fruit and veg. I'm a keen gardener but this year I'm growing a lot more than I used to because my children are finally old enough to help out a bit more instead of pulling up all of the 'weeds' (AKA my seedlings).

Looking forward to chatting to everyone :)

jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Newbie from Cambs

Hello
I hope you get your allotment up and running and good luck with the move. I am sure there will be lots you can do in Canada.
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks for the welcome :icon_smile:

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi

we have a BroadBean, so just need a FrenchBean and you could form the BeanTeam!
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Hello :wave: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

VM
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hello there
I haven't been on here for a while but just dropped in now and had to say hello to someone from Cambs. I grew up near Cambridge and am now living in south Lincolnshire after a couple of decades exile in Manchester.

We had two allotments in Manchester and are now, like you, digging up the lawn in our new garden so we can have the allotment in the garden.

Whereabouts are you in the county?
Flat Earth, Big Sky - blog about moving from city to country, life on the edge of the Lincolnshire fens - http://vmarris.wordpress.com

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks for the lovely welcome, everyone :icon_smile:

Hi, VM. I'm just north of Huntingdon- the bit with really awful, heavy clay soil. My back's killing me from all the digging!

VM

Seem to have forgotten to visit again for a while - so perhaps you won't see this, but thought would empathise (vicariously) re: the heavy clay soil. Round where we are, on the edge of the fens, the soil is lovely loam or heavy clay. We are lucky enough to have the loam in our garden that we moved to 18 months ago - but we are also doing some veg gardening at a friend's place a couple of miles away - and there it is the back-breaking heavy clay like you describe.It's mainly partner rather than me doing the digging but he would certainly sympathise.

I probably often drive past your area on way to Cambridge to see my mum!
Flat Earth, Big Sky - blog about moving from city to country, life on the edge of the Lincolnshire fens - http://vmarris.wordpress.com