...use a propagating frame?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

...use a propagating frame?

It also has a transformer type thing on a shelf below that produces heat in wired and a rod, and there's sand at the bottom of it.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: ...use a propagating frame?

Sounds like heating cables buried in sand, with rod type thermostat. If you've inherited it and it's not been used for a long time then you need to make sure that it has RCD type electrical safety cut-out in the circuit somewhere.
Apart from that, I'd say water the sand well, making sure that all cables are covered (add more sand if needed). If sand gets dry it may burn out the cables as it will not transfer the heat well enough.
After it's been on for an hour check that the sand is getting warm. (put a seed tray with compost in there and feel under it, or check with thermometer)
Hope it works for you, good luck :icon_smile:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

sda wrote:It also has a transformer type thing ...

it turns into a combat robot?

Cyool!
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Are you sure I would have to keep electrical wires wet in the sand - isn't that dangerous?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

No it is perfectly safe, just don't put your tongue on the wire, well not unless you're Doofa of course, he likes the pain