Sewing machines

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sewing machines

What would be a good but inexpensive sewing machine for basic sewing?

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Re: Sewing machines

You can pick up Singer treadle sewing machines for a snip (Excuse the pun!) on ebay. They are reliable and are excellent value for money as they cost nothing to run...I would never be without mine.

There can be issues with the timing (Where the needle won't pick the stitch up), but this is usually easily resolved.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't fancy a treadle type - I was thinking along the lines of a new electrical one - please don't banish me!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I asked my OH for a sewing machine for Christmas one year. I spent more time frustrated because I couldn't get it to work properly and it was banished to an old cupboard.
Years later my local school was advertising "get to know your sewing machine classes"- over a 6 week period - lasting 1 1/2 hour each sessions cost £45. It was the best £45 I have spent in years. Not only did I "understand what I'd been doing wrong" I met great people and practised my sewing understood the reason for changing the tension (very important ) and finally I made a shopping bag.

So good luck with your search- yes an electric model is a good choice but you really don't need the all singing dancing ones. Our tutor said that we all mainly use two or three features so what is the point !
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That's why I mentioned a basic sewing one - I don't want to be unnecessarily confused. I've found there's a Singer shop in town that also sells a cheaper, unknown (to me anyway) brand. I think I'll have a word there as I don't want to buy something online and have the complication of returning such an item if there's a problem. It might be worth paying a bit more for the convenience and, I hope, follow-up service and advice, even if the choice is limited.

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I would look for an older full metal singer with a motor (with the older ones it's a 'bolt-on' affair) it has very few adjustments and will stitch you a nice seam without bleeping or being fancy.
If you want to do fancy stitches - or stretch stitches then some of the best names are Singer (again) Brother, Pfaff, Janome are quite good
But either way I'd go for a used reconditioned rather than tacky new if you're limited funds
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

contadina

Most of the new models (Singer included) are cheaply made in the far east, and very old ones require a lot of maintenance, so I'd look for second-hand ones from the 60s to the mid-80s, when they were built to last, with no plastic parts. If you see one advertised, you can check the make and model number online (there's a lot of interest in vintage machines) and usually download missing instruction manuals.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have a brother machine that is a good few years old and still working perfectly. I have been told that Lidl do a good machine for around £65 but have not used one myself.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I have an old machine - 60s or early 70s - I think it's made by Jones, and that runs beautifully in spite of years of neglect on my part. It has a bolt-on motor that I recently removed to convert it to treadle power - never say never :wink:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Years ago, I bought a reconditioned second-hand all-metal Singer. It only did one stitch. I am still getting good value from that machine 30 years later.

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Does anyone happen to know where the Silver sewing machines are made?

tizzy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Have you tried asking on freecycle? A lot of very nice older machines are given away this way and the owners just want them to be put to good use.
Considering you are asking for advice I'm going to stick my neck out and assume you haven't a lot of experience with different machine brands so it would probably not be a great idea to buy a new one until you know what you really want to look for.
As a general guideline though, get something with a few basic utility stitches but not too many and chose a make which has been around for a while and has a good reputation. Older machines generally require a drop of oil in a few places as they don't have nylon gears like the modern machines, but they are a heck of a lot more durable as Contadina rightly pointed out.