Greetings from Poole/Boournemouth, England

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
E-P
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Greetings from Poole/Boournemouth, England

Hey all,

I've recently moved to Poole/Bournemouth area (though been in the UK for 7 years now). For the first time I moved to a house where I had space to grow my own veggies and now I'm hooked! I have been growing veggies and herbs with my housemate and made plenty of apple jam as there was an apple tree already at the backyard. Went foraging as well for the first time in the UK and got a big bucket of black berries (heading out shortly again to increase my over-winter supply!). It will be quiet over the winter, so I might try to make some ale to keep myself busy.

E-P
Last edited by E-P on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Greetings from Poole/Boournemouth, England

Hello and welcome. :wave:

AlexSBayley
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi! I'm new too, so mutual newbie fistbump!

I've never had apple jam. Is it smooth or chunky? I made some apple butter this year, which is smooth, spreadable, boiled-down apple paste, and it was pretty good. I'd love a recipe if you had one to share.

A.

E-P
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I made my apple&cinnamon jam with a recipe found online, but I am too lazy to find the link. It is done roughly like this (from my own notes).

For each 1kg of apples use;
- 600g sugar
- 1 lemon
- 250 ml water
- ½tbs cinnamon

1. Wash, clean and chop apples
2. Put them in water with lemon
3. add 1/4 of the overall sugar and cook until apples are soft
4. When soft pour in rest of the sugar and cook for 10 min
5. Stir cinnamon in and remove from heat
6. scoop into sterilised jars and process for 10 min in boiling water bath

-------------------------
My jam is not quite as solid as I wanted so next time I will put maybe a little bit less water, bring the water to boil slower and simmer it with lower heat until apples are soft. Now, I boilt it really hard so it is not very chunky and the apples cooked very fast. Regardless it is tasty :) I eat my jam mixed in porridge and on toast.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi E-P

Welcome to Ish and hello from a neighbour. I live in Bournemouth with my husband and 4 children. I have been picking apples today (not from my garden though). I am going to make chutney (if I can find the recipe), apple and blackberry jam and apple and strawberry jam. Just had apple cake for pudding tonight mmmm.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.