Bird song

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bird song

... and their meanings

From a very early age I was told that the Yellow Hammer sings "A little bit of bread and no cheese" and the Wood Pigeon sings "Sow some more peas you fool, you old fool" and the Cuckoo sings, er well I forget that one.
But a friend told me recently that the Chaffinch is a very sinister bird.
When I asked why, he told me that the Chaffinch sings "Ha ha ha ha ha, I'm going to eat you !"

Now every time I hear a Chaffinch, beautiful bird that it is, I don't see it in quite the same way any more. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Bird song

Our Wood Pigeons just sound like dirty old men with a smokers cough! My Mam told be that black birds sing "pretty girl, pretty girl"
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

doofaloofa

Remember Percy Edwards?

His Wood Pigeon was "My toe's bleeding Betty, My toe's bleeding Betty, My toe's bleeding Betty, Oh!"

Apperently the sound of birdsong has a primal calming effect. If birds are singing there are no predators around
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

doofaloofa wrote: If birds are singing there are no predators around
I think that depends on humans being able to tell the difference between singing and alarm calls. When I go out into the garden I usually have a cat with me. The birds are not so calming then :lol:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

The great tits in my garden are the most aggressive and sit on the grape vines machine gunning me with shrill tchk tchk tchk-es every time I step out the kitchen door. They've now been dubbed the Angry Birds, although I've yet to catch one and try catapulting it up at the castle on the hill. The nuthatches, on the other hand, are positively friendly and curious and will come and feed from the feeder even if I'm sitting right next to it.

oldjerry

Odsox wrote:... and their meanings

From a very early age I was told that the Yellow Hammer sings "A little bit of bread and no cheese" and the Wood Pigeon sings "Sow some more peas you fool, you old fool" and the Cuckoo sings, er well I forget that one.
But a friend told me recently that the Chaffinch is a very sinister bird.
When I asked why, he told me that the Chaffinch sings "Ha ha ha ha ha, I'm going to eat you !"

Now every time I hear a Chaffinch, beautiful bird that it is, I don't see it in quite the same way any more. :iconbiggrin:

This is a very 'human centric' way of listening to birds....I like to think they are are discussing the essays of some avian Montaigne.

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

On the subject of birdsong...Radio 4 have a new series coming up called "tweet of the day". It's a series of 2 minute programmes about birds. Ideal for the early birds amongst us - 05.58am each weekday!

Millymollymandy

My blackbirds sing "where's Jeremy?", my Blackcaps end their song with "ticketyboo" and the Chaffies here end their song with "sekeee-ah" whereas some, particularly in England, sing "boudeee-ah". Which could almost be translated into "gonna eat ya". :iconbiggrin:

Shame that R4 tweet is on rather early as my OH always has R4 on in the kitchen but he is fast asleep at that time. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Flo

My sparrows sit in the allotment hedges discussing nesting sites and are noisy little sods - make toddlers and teenagers seem quiet.

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Mrs Moustoir wrote:On the subject of birdsong...Radio 4 have a new series coming up called "tweet of the day". It's a series of 2 minute programmes about birds. Ideal for the early birds amongst us - 05.58am each weekday!
You can listen to it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/totd

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Pigeons say 'My por toe, Betty' ...usually sat on our roof at 6am!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!