DIY Greenhouse Scheme

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

DIY Greenhouse Scheme

I've always wanted a greenhouse. I know poly tunnels are very practical and efficient, but I want a greenhouse because I like them.

Unhappily, a decent sized, decent quality, greenhouse would appear to cost in the region of €3000. That I do not have. What I have found is plans that would allow me - I think - to build a good sized greenhouse (possibly with a little space for a chair, little woodburning stove, bookcase, radio & drinks cabinet) for about €600, which I reckon I can scrape together before the autumn.

What I would like is a critique of what this lady did: http://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/barn-greenhouse

Thoughts, please?

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: DIY Greenhouse Scheme

looks good!

oldjerry

Would a 10'x12'GH really cost 3grand? Bloody hell.

To be honest,it doesn't do a lot for me.Firstly there's a hell of a lot of timber in it,that would be major pricey (over here at least).Next,the metal sides are a complete no.(heat retention etc etc).Thirdly,corrugated is corrugated to point down!(in terms of strength,draughts and basic 'properness' that 's a bit wonky..

..Apart from all that it's great!!

Whatever happened to buying 2nd hand GHs and sticking them end to end..............takes ages,always looks a bit weird,but costs best part of nothing,and it's traditional !!!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think this greenhouse would have much going for growing plants in, too much wood in the roof causing shading and the metal sides would exclude even more light, but as a little snug for sipping the auld G&T or hot toddy next to the woodburning stove, reclining on a chaise longue reading Babara Cartland novels ......... probably perfick

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

A quick google suggests that a greenhouse 7ft by 6ft would cost about £600 or less brand new. I reckon I could build one twice that size out of wood and polythene for about a quarter of that. With corrugated plastic maybe a bit more. Or if you want it should be easy enough to join two smaller greenhouses together to make a big one.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Go for it "and forget the plants" :drunken: :study: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

The Riff-Raff Element

Thanks for the replies. On the points raised:

- Wood is not wildly expensive here, and I imagine that painted white they would reflect light, which would help to an extent with the shading. For the size I'm thinking of I'd add a central pillar too.

- Agree about the metal sheets. I'd use wood or at the very least add insulating board.

- The corrugated polycarbonate does worry me when laid horizontally - it will trap water and go green or something. I'm looking at sheets of flat polycarbonate. For a 3 by 5m greenhouse I'd need 30m2 which I can get for about €300.

- The design appears to omit vents in the roof, but I suppose these could be included easily enough.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

It all sounds very interesting this "design" . I only wish I could see the link but I just get a squared background and nothing else :(
I've got a plan in my head for another greenhouse and have been hoarding glass over a few years and plan to build it in 2x2" timbers to suit the glass to give me a minimum of cutting to do.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I built one many years ago using second hand 2' x 2' sheets of glass and with reject auction timber and is 20' x 12' ish.
Mine is a lean-to one though and also sunk into the ground, which makes it wind proof and acts as a very good heat sink (but only when the sun deigns to shine :sunny: )

I rebuilt it in 2010 with better quality timber and you can see the photo here http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 38&t=18367

Jon, the roof timbers are 6" x 2" with noggins and the front timbers are 3" x 2" and there is absolutely no problem with light.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

The Riff-Raff Element

Skippy - no idea why you can see only the wallpaper on that site: browser, perhaps?

Tony - that is nice and it just goes to show what can be done DIY.