weight loss 2013

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: weight loss 2013

You've found pretty much the same stuff as I had, but there's not much - as you say - in the way of human studies beyond groups of a dozen plus or minus.

The person who seems to be doing the most relevant research on intermittent is Dr Krista Vardy. This is quite a good one from 2010: My translation at the bottom.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 10.54/full

Improvements in Coronary Heart Disease Risk Indicators by Alternate-Day Fasting Involve Adipose Tissue Modulations

Abstract

The ability of alternate-day fasting (ADF) to modulate adipocyte parameters in a way that is protective against coronary heart disease (CHD) has yet to be tested. Accordingly, we examined the effects of ADF on adipokine profile, body composition, and CHD risk indicators in obese adults. Sixteen obese subjects (12 women/4 men) participated in a 10-week trial with three consecutive dietary intervention phases: (i) 2-week baseline control phase, (ii) 4-week ADF controlled feeding phase, and (iii) 4-week ADF self-selected feeding phase. After 8 weeks of treatment, body weight and waist circumference were reduced (P < 0.05) by 5.7 ± 0.9 kg, and 4.0 ± 0.9 cm, respectively. Fat mass decreased (P < 0.05) by 5.4 ± 0.8 kg, whereas fat-free mass did not change. Plasma adiponectin was augmented (P < 0.05) by 30% from baseline. Leptin and resistin concentrations were reduced (P < 0.05) by 21 and 23%, respectively, post treatment. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and triacylglycerol concentrations were 25% and 32% lower (P < 0.05), respectively, after 8 weeks of ADF. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), C-reactive protein, and homocysteine concentrations did not change. Decreases in LDL-C were related to increased adiponectin (r = −0.61, P = 0.01) and reduced waist circumference (r = 0.39, P = 0.04). Lower triacylglycerol concentrations were associated with augmented adiponectin (r = −0.39, P = 0.04) and reduced leptin concentrations (r = 0.45, P = 0.03) post-treatment. These findings suggest that adipose tissue parameters may play an important role in mediating the cardioprotective effects of ADF in obese humans.

Translation

16 obese people did a 10 week alternate day fasting regime. On average they lost 5.7kg and 4cm from their waists, LDL cholesterol & fat levels in blood dropped significantly as did levels of hormones associated with fat lay down. The implication is that fasting may help protect the heart.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I think the research so far seems promising. I made cookies just now, but i halved the recipe ( didn't have enough sugar ) so i didn't make as many, but i still ate 4 of them. Will be fasting tomorrow :lol:
The fasting thing is not strictly fasting. You are still allowed 500 calories, or 600 for men, and if you consume 500 calories worth of fresh fruit and veg then you can graze all day and not feel hungry. Or do you actually have to leave your stomach empty for a length of time?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

demi wrote:
The fasting thing is not strictly fasting. You are still allowed 500 calories, or 600 for men, and if you consume 500 calories worth of fresh fruit and veg then you can graze all day and not feel hungry. Or do you actually have to leave your stomach empty for a length of time?
Doesn't really matter: on that level of intake (over about 32-36 hours, remember) and you'll be pretty much outright fat burning after about 12-16 hours. The few calories consumed are more a psychological prop than a physiological one. Personally I find going for 24 hours then having a light veg-based dinner suits me just fine.

boboff

I wish I could think who that picture in your avatar reminds me of....
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

[quote="Susie"

I accomplished a fitness goal yesterday - dragged myself to yoga even though I was feeling a bit crappy and managed this - it's not that difficult

That's where I'm going wrong....Always looking for an easy way out. ....If I need to scratch my bum I just rub it against a door frame or something...

demi

Haha OJ, just like baloo from the jungle book. :)

Jon, that sounds grate, i can easily do 500 calories worth of fruit through out the day. Do you have any good links to this diet, im not spending money on a book if i can read the info online. Iv read a few revues online but they've only been a page long. Is there any other more in depth info available?

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Susie

oldjerry wrote:[quote="Susie"

I accomplished a fitness goal yesterday - dragged myself to yoga even though I was feeling a bit crappy and managed this - it's not that difficult

That's where I'm going wrong....Always looking for an easy way out. ....If I need to scratch my bum I just rub it against a door frame or something...
lol. but just think how dramatically I can do it and also align my chakras at the same time...

major triumph today. Perfect headstand against the pole last night and managed not to eat my own weight in biscuits at work. I don't think I've lost an ounce yet but I'm sure biscuit-avoidance is good for me!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Demi - Michael M's website launches tomorrow. http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

He's missed a trick there. You'd have thought he'd have launched it before the book came out.

demi

Mrs Moustoir wrote:Demi - Michael M's website launches tomorrow. http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

He's missed a trick there. You'd have thought he'd have launched it before the book came out.

Thank you for that link! I just bought the book, total impulse buy but it was only a fiver :lol:

The Riff-Raff Element

demi wrote:
Mrs Moustoir wrote:Demi - Michael M's website launches tomorrow. http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Thank you for that link! I just bought the book, total impulse buy but it was only a fiver :lol:
The whole 5:2 diet online presence is a typical internet phenomenon: lots of half baked theories and pseudo science plus a great deal of seemingly wilful misunderstanding. Just take a look at forums like Mumsnet and you'll see what I mean. :roll:

In fact, it really is incredibly simple:

Day 1 - Eat normally. After your evening meal don't eat anything else.

Day 2 - Eat only 500 / 600 kcal (delete according to gender) between finishing your evening meal on Day 1 and your breakfast on Day 3.

Day 3 - Eat normally

Day 4 - Eat normally. After your evening meal don't eat anything else.

Day 5 - Eat only 500 / 600 kcal (delete according to gender) between finishing your evening meal on Day 4 and your breakfast on Day 6.

Day 6 - Eat normally.

Day 7 - Eat normally.

That's it. Of course the diet business is worth $60 BILLION each year in the US alone, so there are quite a lot of vested interests who would prefer that it wasn't this simple, which might go some way to explaining why the waters are starting to muddy already.

The only vaguely complicated thing - I think - is that one should probably make an effort not to consume the 500 kcal fast day ration in the form of wine or chocolate (people do...) and should make an effort to look for nutrient dense food instead: fruit, lots of veg, maybe an egg or two, that sort of thing. I have a suspicion that one of the reasons people might overeat is that so many of the calories they consume are basically empty of anything other than sugar, refined starch and fat and the lack of nutrients leaves the hormones systems that regulate appetite switched firmly on. Actually, other people - some of them quite clever - think so too. So, winding in plenty of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and so on during fast days might just help a bit.

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd never seen Mumsnet... :shock: Blimey.

The Riff-Raff Element

Mrs Moustoir wrote:I'd never seen Mumsnet... :shock: Blimey.
Not the sort of place you'd want to be late at night on your own.

demi

I'v not been doing well, i keep eating too much when im trying to fast then it all goes out the window. Defiantly not baking anything today. But i still have to cook for my family and my husband gets worried if i don't sit down and eat with them. He is away to the farm today to do some clearing up, maybe a bit of pruning, possibly digging deeper into the center of the earth ( making the well ) So i can go the day without eating, but still have to make something for the kids lunch and for the dinner tonight. It's hard not eating when you have to cook for everyone else. :(

Had 2 pears this morning but then ended up eating a slice of toast with ajvar and that must of been at least 200 calories. But i'v got 2 liters of diet coke at least to keep me going lol

citizentwiglet

Just out of interest, Demi, why do you want to lose weight when you are only 8 stone?
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

demi

citizentwiglet wrote:Just out of interest, Demi, why do you want to lose weight when you are only 8 stone?
8st 2lbs this morning. But i am short, only 5ft 1, if i was taller i'd be thinner. I'v had 2 kids and my stomach still sticks out. I'v got fat on me, if you saw me you would see.