Yoghurt

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Re: Yoghurt

I always make 4 pints at a time, about once a week if that. I boil the milk, put it in a bowl, let it cool down till my finger does not get burned (which is, apparently, 46.5°), stir in a few spoonfuls of the old yoghurt, cover and wrap it in 2 coats. Then I put half in the fridge and the other half in our cool corridor. Not much work, washing up or electricity!
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I'm making yogurt just now and im keeping the same yogurt going for as long as possible. Is that alright or should i start from fresh after a while?

I get fresh raw milk delivered from the farm. I boil the milk to steralize it then leave it to cool until you can keep your finger in it for 10 seconds. Then add a few spoons of yogurt, i just stick whatever's left from the last batch into the new milk, and mix it in. Then i pour it into a box with a lid, put it inside a plastic bag tied at the top and then wrapped in a table cloth and i put it on the shelf above the wood burner and leave it all day or night. When its ready the yogurt has set at the bottom and there is a thin layer of whay on top which i drain off carefully. You can strain it through cheese cloth to get it thicker and leave it to drip for a few more hours but i never bother.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Hi Demi, I have not bought in any new yoghurt since the last time we went on a two-week holiday - about five years ago.
I never thought of keeping my finger in for 10 seconds - a perfect gauge!
Love, Annemieke.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Annemieke wrote:Hi Demi, I have not bought in any new yoghurt since the last time we went on a two-week holiday - about five years ago.
I never thought of keeping my finger in for 10 seconds - a perfect gauge!
Love, Annemieke.

Yes, my Macedonian gran-in-law told me that one. It works! :iconbiggrin:

I just started some new yogurt because i forgot about it for over 24 hours and it smelled like cheese so i think it went off :lol:
But i make about half a kilo every other day from any left over milk. If i don't have enough milk i top it up with raw milk then boil it. Maybe you're not supposed to do that but i make sure its boiled really well.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Thomzo wrote:I've just bought an electric yogurt maker as I was getting hit and miss results with a thermos. Frankly, I'm still getting his and miss results with the yogurt maker and it uses 10 hours of electricity.

Zoe
I've had a few months' practice now and the results are a lot better. I use skimmed milk and manage to get it to set pretty well. The trick is to use enough starter, about a quarter the volume of the milk. That makes a pretty good, thick, virtually fat-free yogurt.

Zoe