Glass found in homeopathic remadies.

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Glass found in homeopathic remadies.

C'mon Zech - here's your opportunity. Not exactly New Scientist, I know, but you have a platform. What was your paper about?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Yes Zech, what was your papper on?? :)
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Well, since you insist :oops:
I seem to have covered a fairly diverse range of topics over fifteen years or so. These are the ones that made it through the peer review process:

On unconscious (or not) processes in problem solving: "Incubation in problem solving as a context effect"
The incubation effect is when you leave a tricky problem aside for a while and either the answer comes to you suddenly, or it's just easier when you go back to it.

On primary school education: "Distributed and massed practice: From laboratory to classroom"
Distributed practice means little and often, rather than trying to cram learning into a single session. Distributed works much better and you can show that in a classroom setting.

On university level education: "Is the Teaching of Statistical Calculations Helpful to Students' Statistical Thinking?"
No it isn't.

On eating disorders: "The relationship between self‐discrepancies, eating disorder and depressive symptoms in women"
This was a study conducted by a student of mine, co-supervised by someone with a good reputation and generous with authorship. I honestly can't remember the details of this one.

On measuring alcohol consumption: "Alcohol Confusion: What is a unit?"
The editor of the British Medical Journal made a mistake about alcohol units (they're not the same in every country). I wrote and told him so.

On measuring alcohol affordability: "A new measure of alcohol affordability for the UK"
The UK National Statistics had a mistake in their measure of alcohol affordability. I faced scathing criticism at a conference (this is an economics paper. I am not an economist) and government bureaucracy to get that changed, but it's changed now.

It's a shame that so little of this reflects my first love, which is the unconscious processes. I found it much easier to get published in large and popular areas about which I knew a little than in a small, obscure area about which I knew almost everything. Ah, well. It all seems like a long time ago now. I'd be hard pushed to tell you about the studies that I gave up trying to get published.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Thats really interesting Rachel. Well done!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin

---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Zech wrote:On unconscious (or not) processes in problem solving: "Incubation in problem solving as a context effect"
The incubation effect is when you leave a tricky problem aside for a while and either the answer comes to you suddenly, or it's just easier when you go back to it.
That sounds like an interesting paper, is this the one? - I'll have a read later..
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin

GeorgeSalt wrote:
Zech wrote:On unconscious (or not) processes in problem solving: "Incubation in problem solving as a context effect"
That sounds like an interesting paper, is this the one? - I'll have a read later..
Yes, that's the one.
---
Rachel