a different magazine? which one?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

a different magazine? which one?

I have been subscribed to Home Farmer for 2 years now and its time to renew in three months.
I like it a lot but I'd like to see something different for a change.
What magazines would you recommend to me, taking into account I live in netherlands.

I don't have animals, and a mini (2,5 by 2,5 metres plus herbs) veg square foot garden, like to make things where possible like jam, chutney, bread, yarn, socks and sweaters.

I have considered Grow Your Own. Looked into Grow It both on their websites.
GYO seems more fruits/ veg based and not a lot if at all, animal based.
But HF is pretty allround but lots of animal based .....I like their style though :)

Either renew HF or change subscription.
Suggestions/ comments etc welcome. If you have a sample issue that you are willing to part with maybe?

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: a different magazine? which one?

marshlander

southeast-isher wrote::-)

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/
Snap! You beat me to it.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am not looking for permaculture..... thank you.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm not a fan of the permaculture culture, but friends gave us a subscription to that magazine and it was very interesting on a general level.

What are you looking for Berti? - what is it that Home Farmer gives you that you like, and what is it not giving you that you think you'd like? Otherwise it's all guesswork and passing round the psychic hat, or suggesting what we like.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

GeorgeSalt, I thought I have given clues what I am looking for, but maybe not clear enough.
I love Home Farmer but now that I have been subscribed two years its kinda repeating itself, unfortunately... but I like the layout and the readability of the articles.
Nicely written and with a sense of humour, makes me want to try things even when I don't have the possibilities (say, make dairy or charcuterie).
Actually, HF does fit me rather well.

I feel because I don't have animals and probably never will, maybe a mag that focusses more on veg and fruits would be a better idea.
Also as an Isher, have to admit Home Farmer does cover rather a lot, might come in handy later, you never know.
Its an trip in another world, its a magazine for realists and dreamers......it keeps my dreams alive! I now when I would been given a chance I would be happy to join someone and live and work there.

NO idea how thats for the other magazines I have mentioned, since none are available over here so I have to make do with their websites.
GYO does offer a bit more for the money, but can't buy a single issue to see whether I might like it, would be my first pick, but more expensive than HF.
Kitchen Garden, dunno.....mixed feelings from what I see at the website.

sigh. I am not exactly making it easier for you all, am I ? :)

oldjerry

It's a given that 90% of what you get from a gardening mag is virtually the same in any month from year to year.I guess the other 10% is going to be new varieties\products etc that you can find in online forums anyway.

So for 12 months at say, 4 euros a month thats 48 euros!

You could get 2 or 3 really good books for that kind of money..........( Personally I'd buy 5 or 6 secondhand).

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

jerry, I don't agree with you that we can find the other 10% online anyway.
if you look at what HF writes...it IS different.

and I do buy the books anyway as far as I want them.....its just nice to have a magazine each month, that reminds who of who you are and what you dream of, and encourages you to start new things.
I think a magazine is much more than a book offers, and also makes a nice relaxing read too.
much better than buying any glossies (which I never do).

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I used to subscribe to Permaculture a couple of years ago, but I found that their technical articles were comparatively useless. They don't appear to have anyone on the staff who understands technology (at the time). They tend to publish articles about farming with the fairies from time to time too which put me off.

I found Home Farm was very samey after a while, you can only say so much about sick ducks.

I do wonder about Mother Earth News, never tried it though. This website is quite interesting too. http://www.off-grid.net/section/off-grid-101/
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

crickleymal, about MEN, its very american.
that means, has a lot of ads and is mostly based on the american way of life.
BUT
its a real alternative read from HF.....with good advice (that you can use anywhere).
it not as glossy as the british magazines, but also, mucho cheaper!
should be easily available in UK (if thats where you are) like WH Smiths / Waterstones or bookstores aiming for the american expats.

if interested I can send you a pdf file, PM me.

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

I don't buy magazines now, and I have basically the same garden sett up as you. May i suggest you have a good look at the on-line Garden Planner which you can try free a for a month, after which it cost 15 Pounds a year.
I must be truthful and say that most people that I have recommended it to, say that it requires some study, and time to set it up, however when you have done the work which is free to do and use, I have found it to be of a real good value. Have a look and let us have your view;

Oldfella
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like the ideal magazine for you, Berti, is Home Farmer.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think mike is right.....so I will see if I can afford to renew....christmas present to myself? giggle.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a self sufficiency magazine, I think its called Practical Self Sufficiency, but don't quote me on that. I know my dad got it for about 6 months.

However...while it is interesting, the writing is atrocious. And they do have a habit of repeating themselves quite a lot.

Dad gets Home Farmer now, which I like much more...better class of writers :lol:

grahamhobbs

I used to get a veg growing magazine many years ago, yes they get very repetitive after a couple of years, but what I liked was that you got articles on specific vegetables that went into a lot more depth than you find in most books.