seal preserving jars?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

seal preserving jars?

I've got loads of glass jars with no lids and would like to fill them with various preserves. How can i top the pots to keep the contents good? grease proof paper and string and that kind of thing i guess but how exactly? can anyone advise? i'm kind of thinking of making xmas gifts with labels and things so it would be good if they were also presentable. any ideas?

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: seal preserving jars?

I think you can sill buy packs of jar covers which consist of circles of greaseproof paper that go directly on top of the jam and a plastic circle that goes over the jar top and is held on with an elastic band. As the jam cools the plastic sucks down and the jar is sealed. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-H ... 934&sr=8-1
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

marshlander

To use the wax discs and cellophane covers, place the disc wax-side down on the surface of the hot preserve. The disc must be a good fit and completely cover the jam - they used to be sold in different sizes for 1lb & 2lb jars and I’ve even had to cut them to fit odd sized but pretty jars. Dampen one side of the cellophane cover with a little water, stretch over the jar damp side out and secure with an elastic band. I use a new, wetted sponge for this. The cellophane goes all wrinkly and limp when you dampen it but don't worry, it shrinks to a smooth, tight fit as it dries.

You can make a pretty outer cover from a piece of paper or fabric cut in circle and tied with ribbon or string.

If you don't want the fabric to fray it's a good idea to cut with pinking shears. Conversely, frayed hessian tied with waxed jute string with manila parcel tags looks great.

btw, curds should always be sealed this way as they are not true preserves.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

gregorach

If they're standard sized jars, you can buy new lids easily enough...
Cheers

Dunc

featherstick
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.51
longitude: 0.10

I was in this position a few years ago. I recycled any jar I didn't have a good-condition lid for, and bought two trays of new jam jars with lids very cheaply from a wholesaler. It was a very good decision, it cut down on hours of faffing about looking for lids, fumbling with bits of greasproof and so on.

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

me too featherstick. i think it was the easiest option :)