.....re-black an old stove?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

.....re-black an old stove?

Sorry that title's a bit cack-handed.

I have a lovely old woodburning stove that we're going to fit in the other house. Internally it's immaculate, new fire bricks etc, but the outside is a bit rusty, having stood outside for a while.

Having come back from Inverness today without any stove paint :roll: I was wondering if there's any other way I can re-blacken the outside, after giving it a good wire brushing.

Preferably without another 200 mile round trip! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .....re-black an old stove?

Yes, you can buy stove polish, we cleaned one up we got given with a wire brush on a drill, then bought some polish. You can buy it from most shops that supply stoves they usually have that kind of thing along with the rope and glue for the doors etc or you can get in online easily.

Niele da Kine
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 21.27
longitude: 157.82

I think a lot of stove paint might be wax mixed with soot. Otherwise, you could oil it to keep the rust at bay. Peanut oil is a pretty high heat oil, that might be a good choice, but I'm just guessing here.

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

I struggle with ours, the stove Polish only seems to last a few weeks, and it bloomin stinks after you have put in on.
Personnally I think just rub it down and let time show you how it looks.... If that makes any sence at all.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

true about the stink, the first lot we bought smelt really awful, but we got some here that was great and has stayed on well, will have to try and dig out the pot and see what make it was, didn't stink either

Milims

My Mam has always used this: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/33038595 ... adtype=pla. I've never noticed a smell and it brings her cast iron fire place up lovely
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Thanks folks, I've been having a look at the polish - Milims do you have any idea how far it goes? Would one tube do this stove?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Salvaged-Size ... 5194903df2

Having seen the price of this one we're thinking we ought to flog it and buy a cheap new one! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

The stuff Milms says is the stuff I use, I think it's the most common type but as I say it's not brill on woodburners.

Don't sell it! Looks like a brilliant stove, I buy cheap ones, and our garden is littered with broken ones! ( well 4...)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/