Little things that really annoy you!

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Little things that really annoy you!

Deblah wrote:Now I'm in a really happy mood, but I can definitely think of some things that wind me up - and obviously reading through a few pages has reminded me of others!
1. people who dont indicate - so im a mind-reader am i?
2. people who dont thank me when ive clearly pulled over and stopped so they can get past - its just good manners, and it makes me really quite angry to think i went to that effort and they just expect it. worst place ive been for not thanking - Ebbw Vale in Wales, and High Wycombe in England
3. the fact that people can earn more by claiming benefits than by going out and working - it just seems counter intuitive!
4. people who litter - ARG!
5. when there is a massive pile of washing in the sink which i have to clear before i can start, not to mention the icky residue it usually also entails - yuck
6. the celebrity culture - why idolize people who have done NOTHING to deserve it, why cant we aspire to more worthwhile candidates? like our parents

haha, that was good fun actually - nice to have a rant every now and then!
On number six above---Amen,...and again I say AMEN!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Deblah
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

MKG wrote:You think not, MSM? Try these current UK youth words ...

Wagwan - what's going on
Gyaldem - group of girls
Skeng - a knife
Showa - something good
Shan - unfair
Peng - looking good

I can see how the first one works. After that, I'm struggling.

Mike
And I thought I was a youth - I have literally never heard of ANY of these words! haha (actually take that back, heard peng - thought it was weird!) Does this mean I'm getting old?!

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well, I had to think hard about this. But there is one thing that p***** me right off, and that is silent calls. You know the ones; they happen just when you're waiting for something urgent, and some idiot computer decides to phone you instead. And even when they're not entirely silent, there is a delay while the computer puts you through to a foreign call-centre slave who doesn't speak fluent English and who wants to sell you something you don't want just so (s)he can get the commission. I'm normally a quiet, reserved, even-tempered, polite kind of person. But pretty soon now, I'm gonna break down and tell the next offender just to f*** off and die.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I'm with you on this one, except that I'm already at that point you just described. It doesn't help that they have my ex's name so they always assume that I'm Mrs B which winds me up even more.

Zoe

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thomzo wrote:I'm with you on this one, except that I'm already at that point you just described. It doesn't help that they have my ex's name so they always assume that I'm Mrs B which winds me up even more.

Zoe
I nearly managed it, with the last one. Not quite though; the best I could do was a crisp 'Get lost!'. Sometimes I just wish I hadn't been quite so well brought up!

What really gets me is the amount of lies they manage to tell in their short burst of introduction. 'My name is Jason'. Yeah, like we know it isn't mohammed or sikander or ali. 'I'm phoning from Microsoft/Lloyd's/The Financial Times'. As if we don't know they outsource to the Punjab. My colleague spoke to you recently, and tells me you have a loan/mortgage/recent injury/computer problem. As if I don't put the phone down immediately I get predictively dialled call. And the big 'danger Will Robinson' line: 'I'm not trying to sell you anything!' Like you really want to know how I am, and that's what's important to you. It's the contempt, as well as the inconvenience, that annoys me, that they think we are all complete idiots.

2RM.

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Infuriating, I agree. I just put the phone down as soon as they start - I'm not going to let them steal any more of my time. My husband takes a very robust line, so if they say 'I'm not trying to sell you anything', he syas,'don't be ridiculous, yes you are'! But I do feel sorry for people who do these jobs,it may be work they have to do to support their families, they may not have much of a choice.

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

yvette wrote:Infuriating, I agree. I just put the phone down as soon as they start - I'm not going to let them steal any more of my time. My husband takes a very robust line, so if they say 'I'm not trying to sell you anything', he syas,'don't be ridiculous, yes you are'! But I do feel sorry for people who do these jobs,it may be work they have to do to support their families, they may not have much of a choice.
We all have to support our families; but we all have a choice as to exactly how we will do that. I was a salesman, myself, once, so I know the routine. But my opening line was; 'Good morning, Mr Prospect, I'm Rob, I'm a printer, and I'd like to do all your printing for you!' I may not have been a very good salesman, but I am sure the direct, honest, straightforward approach saved everyone a lot of time, and earned me a few brownie points with the great ledger-keeper in the sky who counts up all our lies and misdemeanours. And, I did have my successes. Integrity is important, I think, and even in those days, when I walked on the dark side, I didn't want to do business with people who couldn't see that importance and preferred to deal with a slick script in preference to a real individual.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boboff

I agree with that.

I hated selling but often went to the big accounts to stop the salesmen "overselling" Most buyers in the end would speak to me as MD as they knew action would be taken, and I wouldn't lie to them, and I would tell them things they didn't want to hear if it were true, a salesman will not.

Hey Hoe, thats a different life.

My favorite fun is to speak to them as if your really interested, then say oh hang on, the door bells gone, can you hold, leave them for 5 - 10 minutes, then come back, and do it again, one skam selling New York Stock stayed on the phone for 2 hours one dull Friday afternoon at the Office!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Carltonian Man

If cold calls are a problem for you, in the UK you can register with the "Telephone Preference Service". Quick to do on line and it does seem to work.

oldjerry

Yes it certainly does work,but not for overseas calls,best solution for these is a referee's whistle kept next to the phone.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We had one the other day that seemed to come from a UK number. According to OH (and I may have misinterpreted what he said :? ) it's something to do with them being able to relay, or piggyback , off UK numbers through Skype.

So you answer the phone thinking it's a UK call but still can't report them to TPS because they're still an international call.

Conversely, I have to answer all the calls that come up as International, because my brother lives overseas and my bloody FIL uses his broadband phone and that comes up as international too. So 99 times out of a 100 it's the PPI callers but I can't miss it on the off chance it's not.

Why can't phones be simple any more?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

battybird

boboff wrote:I

My favorite fun is to speak to them as if your really interested, then say oh hang on, the door bells gone, can you hold, leave them for 5 - 10 minutes, then come back, and do it again, one skam selling New York Stock stayed on the phone for 2 hours one dull Friday afternoon at the Office!
Ha, thats my favourite too with any cold calls. I play the "little woman" and go off to get my husband, but leave the phone off the hook for as long as they hold. Gives me a sense of power and stops the b****ds ringing someone else while they are held up waiting for me :lol: also hope it costs them LOADS :angryfire:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Oh Bob and Batty, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must try that one.

Zoe

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

There are loads of big things that annoy me from banks , polititans, facebook and so on and so on , but to answer the question about the little things-
Companies who have the word "solutions" in their title, think engineering solutions, design solutions and as one I worked for building solutions.
In the same way "ethical business" who no matter how they tart it up are still in essence trying to move the contents of your bank account into theirs.
Closer to home, well in it actually, my wife has the habit of placing towels in the kitchen drawers on top of everything else so when I come in to look for something I have to shift the towels first and then don't seem to be able to get them flat enough to shut the drawers again.
Pigeons who have acres of land to use but have chosen for the last 6 years to fornicate on an arbour right outside our back window.
Probably the same pigeons who then go and chew my lettuces, it's probably the whole romance thing, take her out to dinner before the ungainly flapping about lark.
Entering my workshop or shed only to think "what a tip" even though it's my own fault and when I do decide to have a tidy up then struggle to throw anything away.

I must sound a right misery guts.

Pete

boboff

You might need my Services I run a business.... Ethical Pigeon Fornication Solutions Ltd

What I find annoying in relation to your shed thing, is when you put off a job for fear it will take an age, it bugs you to hell for weeks, and then when you get on with it, it's sorted in 45 minutes! Seems wrong to have thought about it for so long then!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/