The Great Mosquito War 2012

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Great Mosquito War 2012

The war has begun. I personally declared it today after being bitten on the upper arm, thigh and side...through my clothes.

Can anyone share good ways to execute the flying B@st@rds?

At the moment I'm trialling the 'Table Tennis Practice' approach which involves standing with a thermos flask in one hand and book in the other - wait for the thing to fly near, hit with thermos flask (can be replaced with any other hitting instrument of your choice). When it flies into the wall, hit with book.

Any other tried and tested methods of execution?

Any ways to prevent them from seeing you as a tasty snack? Or stop them invading your territory are also welcome :iconbiggrin:

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: The Great Mosquito War 2012

im covered with bites too. and when i get bitten the bite mark always swells up into a huge red itchy blotch. got a huge one on my knee just now and others on my arms.
i find the best (non-chemical) way is to prevent them getting inside. i keep the bedroom door closed and i selotaped some fine net curtain ( or mosquito net ) around the windows so i can leave them open without the bast**ds getting in. if i see any i do the same as you and squash them with somthing. i find that they settle on the wall just above the bed and if i wait a while they will land there then i can smush them. they are attracted to the carbon dioxide in your breath, thats how they find you. but not breathing isnt really a practical way of bite prevention! :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

contadina

Long trousers go on around four o'clock. We made mozzie screens for the windows and used voil to make a draped net over the bed and have fly screens over the doors and it really helps keep their numbers in the house down. Having a partner that they prefer helps too :iconbiggrin: ., other than that thin paperbacks seem to work pretty well.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I have a device called a Moziban. It emits a high pitched sounds that is supposed to repel the mosquitos. I've used it for years and found it to be extremely effective. Unfortunately some consumer group did some tests and supposedly proved it was useless and it was withdrawn from sale. This article talks about it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... sting.html This article does give some other suggestions.

Zoe

demi

ouch! i literally just this minuet get bitten on my leg!!!!!!!!! :angryfire:

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I've heard that eating marmite deters them.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had a massive jar of marmite in the last place...but when I went to get it, it had disappeared :(

I've got these plug in mosquito repellents - they're like a version of the plug in air freshener things, but they've got mosquito repellent in the bottles. They don't seem to be working :(

I keep my windows and doors closed. It's really really hot so the aircon is on - opening the doors just makes it like an oven!

There's one particular mosquito that I've named Lazarus...I swear I've squashed it and then it seems to get up and fly away again...I will get it...I will!

I had an electronic device that was supposed to keep mice away when we had mice at home. It didn't work, and worst of all - I could hear it! I'm sure after a couple of weeks the mice started squeaking back at it...

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Garlic. I take "no-odor" garlic capsules in the summer, 2 or three per day (one with each meal), and when I take them I rarely get bitten.
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll have to see if I can get some. I haven't seen them here, but I'll have a look when I get back to the UK.
I love garlic, but don't eat it too often because I teach...and I'm sure the students won't appreciate me talking to them after a good garlic lunch :)

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Electric zappers that they fly into are excellent! And very satisfiying :-)
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

demi

Do those zappers work on mozies? I thought they were for flys.

I also eat loads of garlic everyday and they still bite me.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

garlic works for me eat lots of it and only ever get a few bites
Darn that Wabbit

Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I live in the tropics and most of the mosquitos show up in the rainy season. However, for those using a drip-system to water their plants or those keeping plants in pots which are placed on a dish and/or for those having old tires/other stuff in which rain water stays, it can be a yearround pain.

Mosquito net over your bed, fly screens in the windows and keeping your doors closed at dusk and dawn makes a lot of difference.

And then there is the electric tennis racket..! :mrgreen:

(of course, do not chase away any geckos you might have in the house :icon_smile: )

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wish there were geckos in my house! I'd make them perfectly welcome.

We've got bats flying around outside (don't know what a bat nest is...is it really a belfry?). They provide spaces at the tops of the buildings for the bats to live in.

However...being in a high-risk rabies country, and having a dog I don't fancy inviting the bats inside :icon_smile:

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Make your own repellant. Get hold of all the things mozzies hate, basil, lemon grass, citronella, pelargonium leaves, also cloves blend and add vegetable oil. Cook in a bain marie over a very low heat for an hour or pop the mix in a hot greenhouse for a day. Strain and you have a very effective repellant. :icon_smile: