Plant Food

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Plant Food

I'm lucky enough to live near the coast so I use a lot of seaweed as a mulch,which feeds the soil.I have an interesting brew on the go which includes comfrey,seaweed and nettles.It has been brewing for a couple of months in a lidded bucket,and looks dark brown now,so will start feeding my tomatoes and cucumbers with it this week.
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

loads of home made compost
end of year always cover up with horse maurer
loads of banana skins going into my tomatoes beds a month or so before planting had the best crops ever for the last three years i have been doing this
nettle tea for me chillies, pepper and tomatoes
did have a comfry plot but run out of room for growing so now stick to nettles i can get every were
also use egg shells ans cooffee grouts as can get most of this stuff from work
Darn that Wabbit

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

wabbit955 wrote: loads of banana skins going into my tomatoes beds a month or so before planting had the best crops ever for the last three years i have been doing this
Now this is a new one on me - what do banana skins provide that makes them so good for tomatoes?

Carltonian Man

The Riff-Raff Element wrote: Now this is a new one on me - what do banana skins provide that makes them so good for tomatoes?
I suspect potassium but haven't looked it up.
Just drenched the whole of my lottie with compost tea to hopefully address the effect of what I suspect is years of chemical fertiliser use. Have already added loads of rotted stable muck and homemade compost to condition the soil and will feed with comfrey tea and seaweed tea during the growing season.
Been reading that five gallons of compost tea can be enough to feed an acre of land, only takes 20 hours to make and at a cost of a few pence.
Also sprinkle ground eggshell under the toms to prevent blossom end rot.