Calling all Scots!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Calling all Scots!

Hi, My daughter and I are coming to Scotland on the 10th of June for a 2 week camping/walking holiday on the west coast. This will be our first visit (we live in Sussex, about as far away as you can get) and we are very excited. I would just like advice on what clothes to pack! We have a large van so can take as much as we like! Should we prepare for all sorts of weather? Any help gratefully recieved! Cheers. pbf.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Calling all Scots!

Simple answer - yes, all weathers! :lol:

The only other thing you need is some form of midge protection, head nets might not go amiss - the west coast is the worst area for midges.

And I'll have the kettle on
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

prison break fan

Thank you so much, I guessed we would need a bit of everything! Everyone here who has visited Scotland warns us about the midges! They won't spoil our trip! It's milk no sugar for us both please! pbf.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

remember your wellies! and a good rain coat! some waterproof trousers would be good too if your doing a lot of walking.

if you're lucky you wont need them :sunny: but better safe than sorry! :lol:

have a nice time! scotland is a beautiful place. where abouts are you going? im from the west coast.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

prison break fan

Demi, definitely going to be walking, we are taking the dog! We have no idea where we are going, just hope to see as much of the west coast as possible. We are so excited, it is something we have wanted to do for many years, but it is difficult to take 2 weeks holiday at a time - we have 2 allotments, a big garden, a cat etc etc. We are so far south that a week wouldn't be long enough. Wher are you from, if we pass that way I'll think of you! While Maggie is making the tea! pbf.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

One thing I learnt from doing the same thing (and I loved it, btw): Don't forget that Scotland's a big place! By the time you cross the border, you'll be roughly halfway to Maggie's :coffee2:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

gregorach

prison break fan wrote:Should we prepare for all sorts of weather?
Oh yes... Literally all sorts of weather. Often all in the same day.
Cheers

Dunc

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've stood on Princes Street (Edinburgh) and its been a bright sunny summers day, yet it was still pouring with rain. I couldn't even work out where the rain clouds were comming from, most odd. Yes, all weathers and as gregorach says sometimes all in the same day.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

demi

im from glasgow but moved with my parents when i was younger out to the contry in north ayrshire, near killwining and irvine, like half way between glasgow and ayr, on the west coast, like 10 minuets from the beach. its lovely there, as is everywhere in scotland :) and i moved back to glasgow when i was a student, i love the city too, the west end is lovely, we used to spend every weekend in kelvin grove park sitting up on the big hill in the summer :) if you go to glasgow to the the botanical gardens, they're beautiful, and theres lots of lovely walks through the parks and gardens :)

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

oldjerry

I've only been North once and that was a Lands End\JoG and back thing on a motorbike (didn't see anything for the 3 days,..did it for a bet..)but I've been talked into a trip to Aberdeen for a 100th Birthday party in August,and I WAS quite looking forward to it......but Wellies? weird weather? MIDGES?.....Think I'd sooner spend a weekend in Guantanamo!!!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't worry OJ, the midges don't travel that far east. But take plenty of clothing for the cold and wet, I think August's the start of winter over there. :lol: (Just joking!).
Maggie

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

demi wrote:i moved back to glasgow when i was a student, i love the city too, the west end is lovely, we used to spend every weekend in kelvin grove park sitting up on the big hill in the summer :)
I did that too !!
I had digs in Bentinck Street next to Kelvingrove. That was in the days when it was The University of Strathclyde not Glasgow Uni and the Gorbals was still there and that was far from lovely. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

prison break fan

All this is just making me more excited! Iv'e got another week to wait and can't sleep! Mostly my holidays are spent in the West Country (more or less guarranteed good weather), but have toured North Wales quite a bit at this time of year when we have been very lucky with the weather. My neighbour has just come back from there after two wet weeks! My daughter keeps laughing at my packing arrangments, but I shall have the last laugh!! pbf.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it's been absolutely glorious up here for the last 10 days or so. Can't guarantee it will last though! :lol:
Maggie

demi

Odsox wrote:
demi wrote:i moved back to glasgow when i was a student, i love the city too, the west end is lovely, we used to spend every weekend in kelvin grove park sitting up on the big hill in the summer :)
I did that too !!
I had digs in Bentinck Street next to Kelvingrove. That was in the days when it was The University of Strathclyde not Glasgow Uni and the Gorbals was still there and that was far from lovely. :lol:
yeah my dad use to sit up there too when he was a student with all his hippy friends and their guitars :lol: like father like daughter :lol: maybe you knew him? how old are you? my dad's 56 i think, he did engineering at glasgow uni ( at least i think it was at glasgow uni, might of been another uni in glasgow....) imagine if you's used to know each other :lol: freaky