B-----ds

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

B-----ds

The BBC is reporting today that following representations from our friends the gamekeepers,DEFRA is considering allowing the destruction of Buzzard nests in order to protect their pheasants .The RSPB is protesting,I'm so mad I can't write anymore,suffice to say should anyone tamper with our pairs nest there will be even more carrion for their young.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: B-----ds

All based on this little snippet ...

"Defra said the 2011 National Gamekeepers Organisation survey found that three-quarters of gamekeepers (76%) believed buzzards had a harmful effect on pheasant shoots."

They BELIEVE it - not KNOW it. And then there's that clever bit of statistical trickery - 76% of them BELIEVE it. As we all know, that must make it right. There are other groups of people in the UK who would like to change laws because of their beliefs - and the gamekeepers are just as wrong as those groups.

If they get away with this, it's tantamount to a return to the Middle Ages.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

boboff

Hmmm, either wild buzzards or dopey stupid sh1t for brains "game" birds for Lord Robbing Bastard (look it up he's the Lord of Kitley in Devon) to shoot at with his imbesselment fund managers?

I am really in two minds on this one.

I firmly believe that we have enough sence running this country NOT to ever let this to happen, but that really is just my usual optimism over experience.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

so what if buzzards eat the pheasants! there are pheasants all over the place, put there by the shoot to breed so they can shoot them. surly lots of them also get eaten by foxes and dogs too. my mums friend lives on a large country estate where they keep pheasants for shooting and her dog regularly kills them. if if the gamekeepers want to shoot animals they should just have to accept that they will loose some to other predators, thats the circle of life! and they should leave the native wildlife well alone!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hopefully this is an area where Scottish law will differ :banghead:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Outrageous!

Anyway, don't buzzards prefer to eat carrion and worms?

battybird

Personally, I think they should also stop cars driving within 50 miles of any estate that has pheasants, cos I am sure that there are more roadkill than buzzards kill! :iconbiggrin: Stupid birds are always either running or landing on the road in front of our car. I am sure common sense will rule...does it always in these things? :roll:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

gregorach

A pheasant is a bloody big catch for a buzzard... I seriously doubt that they make any meaningful impact on the population, but I guess old ideas die slowly.
Cheers

Dunc

oldjerry

Calmed down a bit now.Dunc's right in gthe 8 yrs we've been watching them nest 100yds from the house I've never seen one take a pheasant(we've always got a few of those around too).
I'm not going into a rant about wether or not people should spend their free time blasting away at some artificially reared, semi - tame, non-native species.What does concern me is that DEFRA would even consider this,as just the cosideration is all that's needed for the admittedly minority(but hardcore minority nevertheless) of the gamekeeper fraternity who think that all birds of prey are a threat to their livelyhood,and routinely lay poison for Golden Eagle ,Peregrine etc,to include Buzzards in their list of potential victims.

boboff

It's the baby pheasants they take.
They keep them in cages in the woods normally, obviously a buzzard can get in the top. The fences stop badgers and foxes etc.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

Things seem to be stirring,not just the RSPB but the Hawk and Owl Trust and The Northern England Raptotor Study Groups are in strong opposition.
The DEFRA minister is Richard BenyonMP richard.benyon.mp@parliament.uk Don't just email death threats...it might also be worth pointing out the proposal is illegal,unethical,and,as Mike pointed out,based on somewhat dodgy scientific evidence...................oh yeah, and it's gonna cost £400,000 in public money................I wonder what your local MP thinks of that?

demi

they're allowed to kill birds of prey like golden eagles?! i thought all our birds of prey were protected?! :(

i do not like these people.

plus they're spending public tax money on it!! just makes it so much worse! surly they wont be allowed to go ahead with it, id imagine they'll face a lot of opposition.

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

oldjerry

No no,they're not allowed to,but several HAVE been poisoned by gamekeepers,as have 3 peregrine on the Clee up here.

demi

B-----DS!!!!!!!!

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

How about we start a petition, that we get rid of Game Wardens and anyone else that works in an occupation, that entails the rearing of animals for killing in the name of SPORT.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.