Almonds

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Almonds

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QOBTF 20 May 2012 Almonds
Almonds are are touted to be one of the most nutritious of all nuts.It was decided to add them to my daily diet, but discovered that raw they are not particularly pleasant to eat and are hard to digest. Upon experiencing, it was found that they are most pleasant, creamy and easy to digest if cooked.
Method: Raw almonds are beat in the blender with sufficient water to make a slurry so that it pours readily. If cooked on the stove with the bottom of the pot on the flame, the slurry sticks and often burns unless constantly stirred. To overcome this,a sort of double boiler was devised so the cooking pot is heated by boiling water with he ingredient pot isolated from flame hot spots.The almond slurry boils gently and nothing sticks to the pot. Cooking time takes longer about an hour or more, and no attendance is necessary except for an occasional stirring while cooking.The cooked product is stored in the refrigerator and may be pressure canned for longer storage. Just another nutritious food for variety.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Re: Almonds

Fresh almonds have a very pleasant taste

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very true, I love almonds straight off the tree, nice and soft and creamy.
Nothing like the hard, dry ones you buy.
Unfortunately (for me) I've just felled my tree as it was in the way, but I plan to replace it next winter.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

contadina

I love raw almonds, but I also like almond milk, roasted almonds, almond butter, almond biscuits, frangipane, almond nut roast and just about any other form of almond related food. As you can probably guess, we pick a lot of almonds each year :iconbiggrin: .

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life

In Cyprus green almonds are enjoyed at the green stage raw in May. At this stage the whole almond is soft and has a fuzzy green skin, looks strange, but is quite delicious

contadina

They're quite nice like that in a green gazpacho, you just have to make sure you don't pick the bitter varieties used to make amaretto.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

okra wrote:In Cyprus green almonds are enjoyed at the green stage raw in May. At this stage the whole almond is soft and has a fuzzy green skin, looks strange, but is quite delicious
Oh bugger, you tell me that after I chopped my tree down. :lol:
I didn't know that, I waited for them to fall off the tree.
Oh well ............
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Odsox wrote:
okra wrote:In Cyprus green almonds are enjoyed at the green stage raw in May. At this stage the whole almond is soft and has a fuzzy green skin, looks strange, but is quite delicious
Oh bugger, you tell me that after I chopped my tree down. :lol:
I didn't know that, I waited for them to fall off the tree.
Oh well ............
Something to look forward to when you plant your replacement tree this winter.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Like many people, I like the taste of almonds and they are a very useful addition to the kitchen without requiring much fossil fuel processing. Perhaps those supplied to Canada are not of the best quality or is it something else?
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!