What are you experimenting with this year?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: What are you experimenting with this year?

Odsox wrote:As noted in a previous post, I dug the first potatoes for dinner tonight.
They would have benefited from being left for another week, but still very nice and a first for me to have new potatoes for dinner on Easter Sunday.
So, it's all working out well at the moment.

Also a photo of some of my "this year's" tomatoes, although we have been picking them for a couple of weeks now.
They are the follow on plants from the over-wintered ones, which I pensioned off yesterday.
Tony, as always i am eager to see what your up to. you are an inspiration.
now we just need to build a heated conservatory so we too can fill it with over winter veg :thumbright: well done and keep on posting :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm experimenting with whatever pips i find in what I eat!

I did grow two orange plants last year, but they got lost when I moved.

I tried to grow another couple this year, but the're both dead. I've planted a longan seed in it's place.

Oh...and trying to find a garden shop somewhere...I found one for farmers, but my balcony's not that big...

gregorach

I've got a new experiment in the works... I'm going to try growing my sweetcorn in a pre-established sward of white clover, to try and help with the nitrogen requirements. The clover got sown yesterday. The sweetcorn (Kelvedon Glory) will get started off in root-trainer modules sometime in the next couple of weeks, for planting out late May - early June. I probably should have been all scientific-like about it and only sown clover in half the bed, but it's done now... If I get a crop, I'll call it a success, as the bed hasn't been fed that much and my sweetcorn always struggles.
Cheers

Dunc

grahamhobbs

I grow french beans (non climbing) between mine.

is white clover easier to get rid of than red ?

gregorach

I don't know, I've never grown red... It's not too bad to get rid of anyway.

I might grow beans as well, but I like the idea of being able to get the nitrogen fixer established in advance, and I know a clover sward is often used for commercial corn growing.
Cheers

Dunc

grahamhobbs

Gregorach, yes it is basically a sound idea and I don't want to put you off, but just on a garden scale I found certain practical difficulties - digging out the clover, which has surprisingly large roots, afterwards was a bit of hard work and the clover plants seem to provide a haven for slugs. It will be interesting to see how your experiment goes.

gregorach

I have undersown with white clover before, just not pre-established and not on its own - last time, I applied a healthy dose of cow muck first, and didn't sow the clover until the corn was in. I didn't find it all that difficult to get rid of (although perhaps not as easy as I would have liked), and I usually control slugs with Nemaslug... It should be somewhat easier to get rid of now that I've got a scythe - repeatedly cutting it very short (once the corn's done) should help.

I seem to recall that the long handled 3 tine cultivator did a cracking job on removing the clover the last time. Fortunately my soil is pretty light and un-compacted.
Cheers

Dunc