Earth oven

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re:

Clara wrote:That´s interesting. I am indeed cracking up!
Lime in the clay will prevent quite a bit of cracking. Lime is quite elastic. The moisture content of the clay needs to be brought down very slowly and evenly. Damp blankets covering the dome, etc..

I must say that I think building adobe domes is not the best way to build these ovens. Terracotta and lime mortar is the way to go.

duncang
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Earth oven

Morning!

That's interesting, although my reason for using adobe is simply that it is readilly available, and especially if you network around with local building companies, you will be able to get hold of plenty they are digging out of the ground where they intend on laying foundations, that is destined for the slag heap. So, free, and does provide a good working oven, certainly enough for the average household, and provided it is protected from the rain these have been known to last for a hundred years (apparently!).

From what I have seen, a clay/sand/water first layer, covered after by another which has straw or better still sawdust incorporated into it helps insulate the oven so it loses less heat.

I am curious, where do you get your terracotta from? Can you post a photo of a finished oven made from it, I would love to see one...

Duncan

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

The one we have is made from terracotta bricks, which are pretty cheap from builders merchants here. They're made in Molise, about 200km north, where the red clay is better. I'm not sure how to post photos on here, but this might work...

http://www.growveg.info/gallery/main.ph ... alNumber=2

The one at the house I look after just up the road is much older, and made from broken plant pots and roof tiles. It's probably 300-400 years old. I'll try and get a photo next time I'm up there.

Terracotta is much better at retaining heat, so means you can cook for much longer (at least 12 hours) and at a more constant temperature.

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

That's adorable Trofim. How's it firing it up?

One of our helpxers made a bit more of a feature of the one we have in the kitchen http://www.growveg.info/gallery/main.ph ... mId=155282 so now we can have dragon-fired pizzas :-)

Big Al

Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

had a big burn this weekend in my earth oven. The clay and sawdust insulating layer caught fire due to cracks in the oven itself. Temps were hot. Very hot. First time I'd got it quite that hot and we were able to cook about 9-10 pizzas (took about 2-3 mins to cook) on a baking tray one at a time. I kept it going throughout the day so that in the evening we had more pizza :)

Made good pizza, we'll use it another couple of times before the end of year (hoping to use it boxing day)

You can see the oven here: http://www.waark.com
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Looks good, like your blog.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Definetely on my to do list

tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

Just to keep my last post up to date though I didn't realise I'd reinvigorated such an old thread :S

Used my earth oven a grand total of about 4 times to cook pizza. First attempt RUBBISH didn't work at all, just wasn't hot enough.

2nd Attempt good-ish. It sort of got going, but not what I'd call great pizza. Made two small pizzas in the space of an hour, not very economical.

3rd Attempt got it going well - did a few pizzas for lunch, very impressed. Refired later that afternoon for a 4th attempt and got it really, really hot. Went for very thin pizzas and we'd hit the nail on the head. Amazing. Unfortunately the clay had cracked substantially. You really need a lot of sand in the clay to make a decent oven that doesn't crack. Ours has holes the size you can fit your fist in. Later that evening, the insulation caught fire.

5th and final attempt so far - this weekend. Got it up to temperature, trick is to use seasoned hardwood. Really excellent pizza.

We're going to knock it down and start again with more sand in the clay mix if we can!
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just completed our earth oven and successfully baked bread. Have blogged how we constructed on http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.com/2012 ... art-2.html

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

this thread is brilliant. loads of usefull info. iv always wanted to make an earth oven in the garden, defo gonna give it a go! cheers guys! :thumbright:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

contadina wrote:That's adorable Trofim. How's it firing it up?

One of our helpxers made a bit more of a feature of the one we have in the kitchen http://www.growveg.info/gallery/main.ph ... mId=155282 so now we can have dragon-fired pizzas :-)

thats looks fantastic! :iconbiggrin: very arty :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hard work but the result is well worth the effort

Stickweaver

Really want to make an outdoor oven as I have just prepared an area of my garden ready for dining al fresco complete with fire pit. However, having read extensively on this topic I am doubtful of my chances for success. I have a cast iron (I think that's what it is made of) chimnea. If I get a solid door made for it, do you think it would be suitable for baking breads?

Love the blog Tim :icon_smile:

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Stickweaver wrote:Really want to make an outdoor oven as I have just prepared an area of my garden ready for dining al fresco complete with fire pit. However, having read extensively on this topic I am doubtful of my chances for success. I have a cast iron (I think that's what it is made of) chimnea. If I get a solid door made for it, do you think it would be suitable for baking breads?

Love the blog Tim :icon_smile:
You would probably have to check, sing an oven thermometer, that the oven temperature is high
enough for baking