badger or fox?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

badger or fox?

Hello,
For the past few weeks something keeps digging holes trying to get into the chickens. Whatever it is has moved some large stones put outside as a deterrant all the way round. I have read the other post entitled fox? so now woner if it is a fox or a badger both of which we have out here in rural Dorset. Not sure what to do. Would paving slabs all round be a deterrant do you think?

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: badger or fox?

Umm, I think with either you will struggle to keep them out without shooting or electric, or luck.

You could try lightinig it up, leaving a Radio on etc, but I have found once they know of a food source they will keep on coming back.

Hope its ok.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

I'd put money on a fox.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have thought of solar powered lights.At the mo I have just put chicken wire all around the bottom of the aviary out to a depth of 3 feet with stones on top and see how we fare.

oldjerry

An electric fence (see previous threads for size,positioning etc.) is needed pronto.It's probably a fox,especially at this time of year,but never underestimate the potential viciousness of a badger(nice stripy faces,charming on endless TV nature programmesetc.etc....but can be devastating in a hen run,especially if there are eggs present,FAR more powerful than a fox). Best Wishes,hope you get it sorted.

boboff

You will tell if you have a bader as there will be little snuffle holes all over the place, like divets on a golf cource.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aha! I have got a few little holes in the lawn and I wondered where thay came from so perhaps it is a badger. I put chicken wire flat on the ground around the pen to s distance of 3 feet or so 3 days ago and so far no more digging. I also put stones on top so as a short term solution I am hoping I have it sussed but will think about electric fencing.
Many thanks for replies.

boboff

WIth your lawn holes, it is definately a badger. We have had one at home for a while, until recently kindly executed by a passing motorist.
Most of the chickens on the smallholding around have gone, including my own.
Apparently it's the lone males that get kicked out at puberty that cause all the problems!
They do travel some distances, and you may be able to see where they are getting into your property, and try and plug that gap as well, it may help, apparently they can range over a couple of miles.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for that Boboff, I have now noticed quite a few small holes all over the place in a random manner.
Unfortunately I cant plug the gap where they come on to the property as we are surrounded on 2 sides by miles of fields which separate from us via a deep ditch and wire fencing. So....I would have to put up a considerable amount of new fencing.!! But the wire so far is working around the chook coop so fingers crossed until I surround it with electric fencing.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Last night a fox got into the coop bypassing all the boulders, stones and wire and killed all 6. I found 2 areas in the garden where he or they had laid and munched the chooks. No a pretty sight with body parts all over the place so now i am going back to square one and re desiging a fox proof coop,this time i shall be using an electric fence and covering the floor with chicken wire and putting earth on top of that.
I do wonder if the hunting ban has had an effect on the fox population as up to last year we never saw a fox after years of living here in rural Dorset.
O well these things happen!!

oldjerry

I'm truly sorry to hear your news,I battled foxes for a long ,long time.Forget hunting(most of those clowns couldn't ride a rocking horse) overwhelmingly IF,and it's a big if,they kill any foxes they're old\knackered and no threat to your hens.Don't get me wrong,I hate foxes,but the only way to control them is with a firearm(the sadoes that run after them on horseback need to get a job.)

boboff

That is sad.
Electric fencing is the only way I think, given all the other issues with overcrowding and wanting the chucks to have a decent run.
Incidentally how do you know it's a fox and not your Badger?

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

The pawprints near the run in some mud were studied !!!! They were to small and not heavy enough into the ground to be a badger. However I think it could have been 2 foxes due to the flattened areas where I think they ate some of the chooks.
I have spent today emtying the area of housing etc and have put heavy duty wire on the floor nailed to the sides at floor level and covering this with mud and turf to create a flase floor. Next is the electric fencing.
Incidently fox came back to have a go at the quail but couldnt get in to get them.
Now I just have to find more Pekings.

Rich.H
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

If the animal has left a clear roadway to your fence then trace this back 10 yeards or so and lay out a sandtrap to begin with. This will tell you what animal is causing the holes by your fence. If it's a badger your in sticky country as the law is all over the place on how you can deal with them so best to take methods of electric fencing there.

If it's a fox your wasting your time with electric fencing as charlie will work out a way around it anyhow and all you get is a hole in your wallet, a higher electric bill and more dead chickens. In this case get down to the local farmers and find a local chap with a gun and a good rep, throw him a few beers and a good diner and your problem will be solved until a new fox takes up residence, then rinse and repeat. Foxes are far too determined to be swayed by a litle bit of fencing and unless you are keeping very large amounts of chooks the costs just are not effective to try and deter.

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

It's so horrible to go to your hens/ducks in the morning and find them dead. Everywhere I've lived with poultry I've had this problem at least once, but inbetween attacks months or years can go by - it doesn't make a lot of sense.