Accomodation near East Grinstead Hospital?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

Accomodation near East Grinstead Hospital?

Bit of a longshot, but I am searching for a cheap (very!) place to stay while OH has a major operation in East Grinstead 15th April. The only cheap place I found (£26night; campsite in Lingfeild with self catering rooms) is booked full of workmen. Money is tight as I will not be able to work for at least a month after the op and he cannot work at all ( not for a few years). The hospital recommend places which start at about £40 and cannot suggest anything cheaper. Many people must have the same predicament. I only need a single room, would sleep in a caravan (luxury!!). Will be for at least five days, I think / hope.
I just want to be near him as this is his fifth op in four years and he is anxious. I could stay at home but the round trip of 150 miles to visit would be too much to do more than once to drop and once to collect. We are not eligible for any financial support as Dave gets contribution only ESA.
Any suggestions would be welcomed :dontknow: Thanks
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

southeast-isher

Re: Accomodation near East Grinstead Hospital?

If you have a car maybe pitch up here about 15/20 miles away, it's very plain and simple but...

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... px?id=8050

Or sleep rough in Ashdown Forest!

You could try the Wilderness Wood in Uckfield, would be nice to stay there and i've heard people have done but get in contact with them first.

http://www.wildernesswood.co.uk/

Sorry if this hasn't helped :-s

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I can't help but I can send a whole load of good wishes that the op goes well and that you find somewhere suitable to stay. Does the hospital have a 'friends of' type support network? They may be able to help you.

Zoe

battybird

Thanks SE-isher! Actually has been considered! Just I am a bit of a wimp and might be cold! I could camp in the site in Lingfield but the thought of doing it on my own is a bit daunting! Def not a candidate for wild camping!
Zoe,Thanks for the wishes... we are going to the pre-assessment thurs so will try and find a hospital league of "friends". Just managed to track down a place for £35 a night which may have to be the answer. I am sure something will turn up, it usually works out just as I get panicky! I was spoilt when he was in Kings College Hospital as my cousin lives fairly near so she put up with me regularly :lol:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

southeast-isher

I have slept in my car a few times before, once for a week. But never on my own.

happyhippy

Maybe try Couch Surfing,people put their spare beds/sofa's on the website and you stay with them for free.Usually it is just for one night at a time,but you might get lucky!

southeast-isher

happyhippy wrote:Maybe try Couch Surfing,people put their spare beds/sofa's on the website and you stay with them for free.Usually it is just for one night at a time,but you might get lucky!
Good idea! I didn't think of that.

MarcherLady
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi batty bird, sorry to hear your husband needs surgery. Have you looked at Youth Hostels? There is one at Uckfield, called 'Blackboys' which would be cheaper than any of the prices you quoted, even if you had to buy membership, just take a sleeping bag... I've only just joined this site, so I'm not sure if I can post a link, but try Googling 'yha uk' and it should be the first link. Also, try speaking to the local tourist information office, who might be able to help. Good luck

southeast-isher

MarcherLady wrote:Hi batty bird, sorry to hear your husband needs surgery. Have you looked at Youth Hostels? There is one at Uckfield, called 'Blackboys' which would be cheaper than any of the prices you quoted, even if you had to buy membership, just take a sleeping bag... I've only just joined this site, so I'm not sure if I can post a link, but try Googling 'yha uk' and it should be the first link. Also, try speaking to the local tourist information office, who might be able to help. Good luck
Welcome to the forum! Yes the YHA hostels are good. I have stayed at a very nice one in Arundel. The one in Blackboys can be seen here:

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodatio ... index.aspx

southeast-isher

The YHA hostel in Eastbourne is a lot more modern, but further away obviously.

contadina

As well as http://www.couchsurfing.org there's also http://www.airbnb.com who have rooms for rent as low as £8 per night in East Grinstead and loads under £25. We booked some friends who went to visit Napoli for a couple of nights in an Airbnb and they said it was brilliant experience.

contadina

You'd be advised to use the distance search option though, as I've just that many of those listed are nowhere near :? .