Freecycle (love it)

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
irigg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Freecycle (love it)

Just bagged myself a brand new push along lawn mower :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile: and last month a 13ft fibreglass dell quay boat bit of work needs doing to the boat but nothing major and then i'll be off down the helford river :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Freecycle (love it)

Good for you - I love it when I get something new (to me) off freecycle and it is great for decluttering.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

scotsmart
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: qwess
longitude: qwwss

Yip
Great resource everyone should make use of to both give/get also search Facebook many similar localised Freegive pages there-in anything to give stuff a second life is ok with me, both had and given back many items in my time.
Just learning please bear with me, we all have to learn somewhere.
Just because we don't agree, doesn't make me wrong, i state things like i see them, based solely on personal life experiences/fact, and not on forum speak or here say.

http://www.volkswagen-transporter.co.uk FREE VW van community

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Love Freecycle. Recently collected a pile of unused large white Formica sheets and then three rolls of thick, industrial grade bubble-wrap, each roll measured 1.5m x 12m. I've been using it all to line and insulate my lotty shed and any bubble-wrap left over will protect greenhouse plants for the winter.

Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

Back in November I got a lovely new sofa via freecycle!! It never ceases to amaze me what a wonderful, underused system freecycle is!! Not only for the money saving, free stuff benefits and environmental benefits, but for the way it connects people with good old fashioned human interaction! And obviously, the more people who use it, the better it is!!

If you haven't tried it yet, let a little of the gift economy into your life!

Flo

I'm doing a bit of decluttering via freecycle at the moment.

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It's a wonderful thing! We've passed on so many things from TVs, fridge freezer etc to a mobile charger from a lost phone. I've also received great things like loads of seeds, reusable nappies and most recently three breastfeeding tops which would have cost over £80 new!!! It's really nice to interact with other people in today's society where it's purely out of good will!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I seem to have become a Freecycle agent for friends and neighbours who can't be bothered/aren't able to organise it for themselves. Latest one was for my 70YO neighbour who wanted to get rid of a sofa. I don't mind, I'd much rather spend a few minutes sorting it out for him than he send it to landfill.

Zoe

Scotness
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Years ago (in the late 90's) I had an idea very similar to freecycle - but I didn't know how to implement it - a few years later a friend told me about freecycyle and I founded one of the first freecycle groups in Australia. Things started slowly and then took off quite quickly - and we rapidly became the second biggest group in Australia at the time. Alot of good things happened - and a few bad things as well (one person I banned for bullying threatened me with legal action!) -- but in the end I came to the conclusion that freecycle was a bad implementation of a good idea. I had been promoted to the freecycle next group - to plan the next version of freecycle but this was at the time of the melt down in the US and the resulting court case with Derron etc - and the freecycle next group went nowhere (or I actually I think split off from Derron).

So anyway I decided to go back to my idea - and founded free-economy.org - where you can give away and search for things - or request things - but it's all put in a database and you can search however wide or narrow a scale you want - and just in your local area or anywhere in the world. The idea being you can target things alot more specifically than just looking at what ticks over in your local freecycle area.

The great irony in all this for me though is I'm currently banned from the freecycle group I started - because I once asked to borrow something in the group - which we used to allow when I ran it - and they no longer do - and they wouldn't even talk about it so they banned me! LOL

Scot :-)
Find and give things for free - locally and globally - free-economy.org

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

I very much want to join freecycle, and tried a few weeks ago, but I can't get logged in to the stupid thing! I sent the little email asking for help, and got back a confirmation of my freecycle name (?!). Urrrrrrgh!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

marshlander

I think all free reuse sites are good but prefer to use Freegle, a locally run UK organisation.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

use freegle to i hate to throw any thing away
great for getting rid of extra plants i don't need to
give away more than i get but did get a good cage for me boys ginny piggys
and odds of sods of paint for paint rabbits for me garden
Darn that Wabbit

happyhippy

I've used Freecycle for quite a while now,given loads away(including a car!!!!)and collected a few things.One day my OH was sent to collect a home brew kit someone was giving away.When he returned home,not only did he have the home brew kit but the kind person giving it away had persuaded OH to take some turkish rugs!When OH returned with them from the car,I was shocked.The guy had given us 4 rugs,all brand new with the original tags on them!Apparently they were moving and the rugs had been in their loft for ages and they had no further use for them!Fantastic!!!

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

not to forget my first batch of wine was all made with freecycle stuff
Darn that Wabbit

Scotness

Mustardseedmama wrote:I very much want to join freecycle, and tried a few weeks ago, but I can't get logged in to the stupid thing! I sent the little email asking for help, and got back a confirmation of my freecycle name (?!). Urrrrrrgh!
Try free-economy.org -- logging in is optional

Scot
Find and give things for free - locally and globally - free-economy.org