It's a Bit Windy Here

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It's a Bit Windy Here

Hi Everyone, Its a bit windy here in Co. Mayo, The worse it's been since we moved here 2 1/2 years ago. My one consolation is that the chicken coop and run that I built (the biggest timber project I've ever completed) has remained standing. (smile of self satisfaction) But a commercially bought coop is now wrecked (thankfully it was not occupied).

I see the high wind is widespread whats it like where you are?
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: It's a Bit Windy Here

Hi Dr.Syn, well it's been pretty rough here for ages now. Weeks of high and gale force winds complete with heavy rain and sometimes snow. a friend who has chickens lost a cockerel when the hen house blew into the next field and this was a heavy duty affair weighing 3/4 of a ton! Poor cocky got crushed but the rest of the girls were okay - amazingly. Some structural damage done to buildings but no injuries.....just to the wallet for some!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Keaniebean

It was pretty darn rainy here this morning but the winds haven't been too bad at all really, but that is so typical of living in London really. Any 'real' weather just kind of passes us by generally speaking. Well done Dr Syn on the chicken coop. :thumbright: :thumbright:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Flo

Reckon our wind has been eating baked beans it's that gusty :mrgreen: Bus drivers say that it's "interesting" coming out of town over River Tyne.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Yup, exciting here too in county Clare.

No real damage, though an old cow shed we have won't stand much more of this.

We lost the mirror which we use to help us get out of the driveway and a bird feeder got smashed up. The polytunnel is 100%.

Oh, and the leccy just went off for a split second, while I was typing this!
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It seems that we have had almost continuous windy weather for months now, it's about time it went and bothered somewhere else for a change. :iconbiggrin:
Plus, I must be getting used to it as I can't remember it being any worse on the 10th of December as any other day.
http://www.marine.ie/home/aboutus/newsr ... nDevon.htm
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

No wind at the moment, although probably heading this way. I saw a post on FB early this morning about trees blowing over in the Glasgow area.

Yesterday hail filled the entire window so we couldn't see out. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Odsox wrote:It seems that we have had almost continuous windy weather for months now, it's about time it went and bothered somewhere else for a change. :iconbiggrin:
+ concur

Actually, it's not been quite as bad as you say where we are, wind-wise. We do get the occasional calm day, sorry, hour.

What we seem to have had since May 2011 is cloud. Our solar hot water panel has not seen much use since then. Grade A grey days.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

gregorach

102mph recorded here in Edinburgh yesterday. Trees and power lines down all over the place, lots of buildings damaged, and my allotment site looks like the aftermath of a tornado. I didn't do too badly myself, only lost most of the greenhouse roof. Other people faired much worse - lots of greenhouses and sheds completely destroyed.
Cheers

Dunc

Millymollymandy

Not too bad here as I'm inland (ish) and coastal Brittany always bears the brunt. I just hate wind though and can well understand how people go mad when the Mistral blows! Wind does provide me with lots of kindling though. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Forth valley didn't fare too well, although we personally were ok, watching neighbour's fence cartwheel down the street, power cut for 3 hrs (missed internet more than anything)

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well it's Thursday and .....it's still windy but with luck it will ease a little tonight.
It's too windy for a kite! We have been lucky we have kept our phones and electricity. So many others haven't (7,000 homes lost their electricity over the last couple of days) There has been damage and trees across roads etc. Ho hum roll on summer.
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree about the rain.
We are relatively used to windy winters down here, although this winter has been a wee bit over the top, but it is the rain and the gloomy thick overcast days that are getting on my wick. I have loads of work to do that needs to be done during the dormant season, but even during the hour or two that it's not raining, it is so waterlogged underfoot that I can't do anything.
Plus now everything is starting to burst into life and these jobs are becoming that much more urgent, together with all the other routine jobs that have accumulated over the past 2 or 3 months, I can see that quite a few jobs will have to be shelved.

I posted on here last year about spring appearing early here and several people commented that they liked winter, I wonder if they still feel that way ? :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

bonniethomas06

I lay in bed last night listening to the howling winds, feeling sorry for the pigs and chickens, but also for my greenhouse. Thankfully it was still standing this morning, as was the polytunnel, but I wish I had cemented the posts in now :oops: .
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bugger, bugger, bugger !!!!!!

Here I was, feeling sorry for everyone, but very snug. Switched on the computer this morning and the power promptly went off. It's only just come back on (7 pm) and I'm sick of Radio 4 and sick of the assumptions everyone makes in these situations (you know - putting the kettle on and nothing happening, finding that the torches aren't where we KNOW we left them - that kind of thing).

Ah well - it's back on now ...

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)